Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Whats your routine?

Guest Frank Betts

This has been bugging me lately and i am going to go ahead and ask. When you get a download specifically scenery, do you load it up and fly around it a bit. Even actually read the readme about the goodies inside maybe land and taxi around and then move on and wait for that next great download or do you actually keep going back to it? This includes the good with the bad. Kind of like the ol' Christmas analogy of the toys you got on Christmas morning. You played with them like crazy for a while and then kind of left them in the closet eventually. Just personal curiosity folks ;-) I kind of fit in with the Christmas analogy myself :-roll

Some things stay or a long time.... others don't. It depends on many things, but generally I keep the enhancements which cover a large area... like trees, buildings, clouds, traffic, mesh and land class... I have had the aircraft I love for a while, mostly posky. The newest addition is the yeo designs 737-200 which I really like, and the PAI traffic which is great. The best thing I have is a pilots atlas of europe which, with some imagination, adds to the realism of the fs world.I'm not big into individual airport scenery as I rarely stay in the same place for long. The difference between big airport scenery and the def ones is too great .. I prefer to keep everything on a level which is fairly consistent world wide. Of course, I occasionally try out something that interests me, and then remove it when If I get bored.... I agree with the christmas idea, but I see nothing wrong in that. Some things last and somethings don't... its an individual thing.:-)Pete

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Truth is -- fly what I know. Places I have been. Avoid sceneries of airports which gave large amounts of wasted time back in my younger life. Then on the flip side -- fly where I would like to go and never had the time.Very seldom fly the stock scenery. Alway seem to end up in LAX for some reason or other. Also, fly PVD out to Block Island and back very often. Not fair. That is where I was born.Airplanes have a lot to do with it. Never fly the Heavies. Spent to much time in them with my knees sticking in the next seat in front. Like the WWII birds and flying by the seat of my pants. Well, maybe with a GPS tucked behind a hot spot on the panel. Then again, if the scenery becomes really attached I will go in and change it to my liking for personal use only.My reply really isn't being fair to your question. In as much as I design my own scenery, like yourself the Sim has become a personal game of our own making. Also, depends on the era. I love water bases and float planes. The older float planes are fascinating. If there is a scenery that has water nearby then I add a water base to it. Now, it is like Christmas. Not sure this post helps you -- but it is routine of one of your fans.Frenchy -- out.

When I download scenery and it is bad - I immediately discard it. I am very selective in what I keep. But what I keep I do use it. I must have flown 100+ approaches to Priness Juliana airport and though it is the stock scenery that I use - it fits my requirement for nice Caribbean scenery with shorter runway for good 767 practice with no ILS. I have another favorite - which is Bangor Intl. Maine which I like using for full night approaches with all facilities. In terms of actuall add-ons I keep about 30+ best of scenery freeware that I keep using over and over again. I just got payware German Airports and I know I won't get bored very soon using this package.Michael J.

I fall into both the "frequent flyer" and "Christmas present" categories. I fall in love easily if it's a nice scenery package, but more and more I'm limiting myself to flying in certain areas (Alaska, parts of the US pacific northwest and the south pacific) and so scenery files located in these areas get a lot more use. In a few cases, really good scenery will actually change the areas I like to fly in. For instance, Lago's recent Emma Field and Georender 1 sceneries brought me back to Oregon and Washington. It's funny, but although I live in Oregon, I don't fly there much; probably because I'm not a real-world pilot, so the local airfields don't harbor any familiarity for me. Lately I've been working on scenery design myself, so I've been flying out of my own airstrip and exploring those in the immediate vicinity. Like a lot of designers, I'm sure, I'm getting SICK to death of my own scenery, but I need to keep testing and adding to it, so that's my usual starting point and destination. So to make a long story short (too late), I've downloaded a lot of scenery files from all over the world and flown in them a few times, but unless they fall within my current region of interest, I don't tend to visit them often.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest guyjr

I'll download almost any plane that either comes packaged with realistic panel and sound, or one that has them available elsewhere for download. Otherwise, I skip it entirely. I prefer a full package to an empty one.I fly heavies and GA, and more recently have been enjoying flying everything nap of the earth... even the big ol' 747! It's great fun, just don't dip that wing too much, and .... whoooops!!

Guest Frank Betts

Excellent reply's you guys. It is nice being able to do your own scenery work. When I first started out I did it just to amuse myself, Then I figured , what the heck maybe somebody else will use this stuff to. Kind of giving back to the community. It is also a works in progress. I learn something new and I immediatly make a scenery around what I just discovered Still have to remind myself this is for my entertainment and that I am just sharing it with others. Ever find yourself wanting to just fly for once and then spotting a neat little spot and bring everthing to a hault and start building again :-lol Thanks for opening up a bit.

Great topic Frank, I agree with much of what you said. I design scenery and I do the same, start a flight and go "hey I need to check that spot out!", next thing I know, it has buildings, statics, new ACFAD file, people and my FPS have gone down the tube! LOL I do love to check out new scenery and see what others are doing, I have never done a large airport, don't know if I would have the patience, but I am amazed at some of the detail that goes into some of them. I find I like the tropics allot, epecially with the enhanced water textures, and with the active camera the abilty to walk on the beach! I love the Alaska, Canada area now thanks to my VA (lots of good stuff from you and Don there) and Eds mesh. Been checking out Japan lately, some great GMAX airports for it, very nice. Plenty more places I haven't been yet, looking forward to it.Michaelhttp://www.geocities.com/res052cd/cmhbanner.gif

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Looks like a lot of scenery designers are doing much the same thing. My story is actually a bit different. I design scenery for CFS2. Well, I did. What with CFS3 coming out and the inability to create add-on scenery many CFS2 guys are beginning to fly Fs2002. For awhile must admit to being in a funk over the whole thing. Hours and hours of researching old WWII airfields down the drain. Started flying Fs2002 and stuck one of my old sceneries in it for the heck of it. Bingo!! The bloody thing worked. Well, almost. Tweak here, tweak there and we have an accurate WWII base for the guys to fly there shiny new GMax Fs2002 warbirds.Bored??Not anymore. Like yourself, I posted that a WWII Fs2002 base was in the works and got flooded with requests. Uploaded it to a CFS2 site the other day and got even more requests. Now I'm happily on my way making the stuff I like to make and making others happy in the process. Guys are sending maps and stuff to help. It's like a whole new world buried 60 years in the past.Almost all my old stuff works and looks even better. Tired of flying my own scenery. Not on your life.Now, if I can just make Bassingbourn show up on the GPS and Flight Planner ------Frenchy -- out.

Oh man, did I ever miss something major! What's this about not being able to make scenery for CFS3? I'll have to research that. Is it a complete lockout, or will we just need to learn some new techniques?

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Go to Simviation (hope I can print this) and look on the front page. There is a complete preview by Hugh Shoults about 2/3 down. He knows his stuff.There will be a SKD in about three to six months after release. Even with that it will take most of us months to get our arms around it. Hopefully, some kind genius will break into the new scenery engine before then.Be happy your not a panel designer!!Frenchy -- out.

Guest Frank Betts

Ouch Panels...all yours Frenchy I did some Cf1 and 2 scenery but just never really got my interest completely. Fs2000 is where I really got the bug to try this stuff. Can't make a plane. I have FSDS pro had the intention of trying to make a plane but no patients. I'll leave that up to the real smart guys ;) But I do have about a million api buildings and such..well maybe not a million.

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Not to worry. I don't do panels. But, my designer friends do. I can't make a plane either. They can make that GMax stuff. Truth is I never tried. Opps, that isn't true. Have tried GMax -- but it can't make scenery -- only objects. I like to make scenery with trees and things like that. Got ASD and never made anything of worth with it.Think I will design Historic Old WWII sceneries in Fs2002 for awhile until either I catch up with technology or the technology rolls over me.Always looking for good macros. The old things. Going to rebuild the old WWII bases in Fs2002. Not the ones you read about. The ones that are were there and now are gone. They will be a bit different from standard Fs2002 fare. You betcha.Yep, this is how I play out my routine.Frenchy -- out.

Hey Frenchy, I had (have) all your GZR sceneries in CFS2, they were great! Got me interested in scenery design, started out with CFS2 and now FS2002. I wanted to show you this link for GMAX macros http://www.maskrider.com/CFS2_Scenery/cfs2index.html and scenery. If you need any macros for a project, I have become pretty fair at using NOVA and would be glad to help. I have been playing with the AI traffic in my projects and want to do one with ALL vintage, WW2 aircraft flying in and out, would look sweet! I am about finished with my current project, another couple of weeks, Drop me a line if our interested.Michaelhttp://www.geocities.com/res052cd/cmhbanner.gif

Best, Michael

KDFW