Sign in to follow this  

Tnt2 - Geforce2 mx or 4 mx ... worth it? easy install?

Many thanks if someone can help...just wondering if i'd see improvements going from a tnt2 based card to a Geforce 2 or 4 mx series...also, does Nvidia's universal driver system mean i can just take out one card and plug in the other, or do i still need to uninstall drivers then reinstall same driver??thanks again..

My suggestion--stay away from the MX series. If cost is an issue, try to get a GeF 2/Ti or GeF 3/Ti on closeout...As for improvements, someone else who's followed that upgrade path might be able to help. Definitely, 64 megs of video RAM is an improvement over anything less.

Guest flightpro08

Stay away from these two series of cards. Get either a GeForce3 Ti200, GeForce 3 Ti500, or a GeForce 4 Ti4200. All three of these cards are miles faster and can be found for the same price, if not cheaper, than the two cards your interested in.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

thanks...prob. is the ti4200 is $238 but the gf2mx is $99a hundred bucks i could do if it would make any difference, but as for the better cards, i'll wait until the summer and upgrade the whole system.still, gotta be better because it's a better chip and more ram, correct??

You should be able to get a GeF 2/Ti or GeF 3/Ti fairly close to $99... To buy the MX, IMHO you'd be wasting your money. To my way of thinking, MX="Marketing EXtravaganza". It is crippled in enough ways that you'd likely see very little measurable difference. Sooner or later, you'd find yourself shopping around for yet another card, and the $99 would be wasted.I'm running with a GeF 2/Ti and I'm very happy with it, and FS is very happy with it. I chose it over the GeF 3 because it was rated for 250W power supplies, which mine is (a 300W power supply is recommended for the GeF 3). If you have a 300W supply, try to get a GeF 3. You won't be sorry. And by ordering online, you can save quite a bit....

Guest flightpro08

A GeForce 4 Ti4200 for $238! :-eek You can get a GeForce 4 Ti4600 for that. :-)I just did a very quick search of www.newegg.com and found a GeForce 4 Ti4200 for as little as $123. I recommend going to www.newegg.com , click on "Search By Category", then select "Video Cards", and do a search for the GeForce 4 Ti4200 in the "Search by VGA Chipset" window. I recommend you get either a Leadtek or Gainward card, as they're very good companies. If you have any further questions, be sure to post back.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

thanks guys..$115=$238 canadian...groan...guess I'll wait. thanks again.

Michael lives in Canada... $115 US equals around $185 Canadian. If his budget is around $99, we're looking at around a $60 card.... But I still think a GeF 2 or 3 Ti might be had for around that price...

I went from a Tnt2 8mb to a GeForce2mx400 64mb on my 900Mhz system.Although this is an outdated system by today's standards, the improvement was very large, both in overall framerates, effects, and color. I use the 4.13.01.2311 drivers (older ones) with the stereo e drivers for the 3D glasses. I've had no problems on this very solid system. I think you will be happy with it until you upgrade your whole system.

see the above currency issue! a ti4600 at EB goes for $649.99 in my part of the woods!

$115 should be less than that..... Current exchange rates are about 1.6 CD per 1 USD....

Guest flightpro08

>see the above currency issue! a ti4600 at EB goes for >$649.99 in my part of the woods! Ah ok, that'd explain it. ;-)Still, whatever you buy, do not purchase anything that says MX on it. ;-) The GeForce 2 MX series of cards are well made, but fairly out of date, and the GeForce 4 MX series of cards are just overclocked GeForce 2 cards. I'd recommend the GeForce 3 Ti200 or GeForce 3 Ti500. You might be able to find one of those in your price range. They're both very good, stable cards, that should stay up to date for at least a while longer. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298