Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Avsim Web Site

Guest Stanner1953

GentlemenI am a retired afficionado of the sim hobby. I like your web site, but regardless of the hour, the response time is very, very, very, slow. I have had problems at 1:30 AM EST, when it is 6:30-7:30 Am in Europe. I have given up logging in because of this problem. I think your problem is more prevasive than a heavy load trying to download files It affects your entire web site. If you do not address this problem quickly you are going to lose some of your followers. I am reluctant to pay $30 a year to FlightSim, but if they are the only game in town, then so be it.Stanner

We have posted the reasons and the actions we are taking to overcome them (namely, a $6,000 or so outlay to add a new library server). If you want to pay for access that is your decision of course, but I would suggest a little more patience. After all, it is a totally free site, and patience is an easy thing to give in return. I know how some of the freeware authors feel. Sheech.

Hi TomI also noticed quite a slow down on the file library and forums inthe last 2 months. I thought it was kind of strange that it almost happened over night. After being involved with computers for 15+ yearsI can't help but think the slowdown was a sign of what just happenedto you system.Glad to see the system on the way back up. Hope all was backed up? :)FaxCap

Yes, will all the benefit of hindsight, the file library HD was acting up and over time degraded to the point of failure. Our earlier diagnosis was that we were getting I/O bound under load. Obviously, that was not the case. We do have backups and we are working to put a new disk in and bring the library back to life. In the meantime, we have dismounted the rogue disk and are running the forum system and a few other things from the remaining HD's. We hope to have everything back to normal shortly.

Guest crashing_pilot

just my humble opinion:i too experienced the slow loading,even worse then others i think,as i'm on a 56k(very optimistic statement ;-) ) phoneline.however,there's nothing wrong with patience(let me spell that one out:p a t i e n c e!,there's a reason there's a refresh button in ie).i don't really care if this site is blazing fast,or slugggishly slow,either way,i'll visit.i think some people are spoiled ;-)fellow Tom,just keep on Avsimming,in any case,you make one person happy(that would be my wife,as "Avsimming" keeps me from...err...well,use your imagination :-) )kind regards

>i think some people are spoiled ;-)Well I'm spoiled to be on a cable ISP that is constantly rated in the fastest 10 in the world and usually in the top 5.The way I look at is this...I can download a 20meg file in 10-20 secs and be off...freeing up a node for someone else.And that is the only probelem....the wait for a free node...the actual downloads are rarely under 250kbps for me once I "get to the head of the line" I am off within 20 seconds. :)FaxCap

Guest crashing_pilot

well see,that is may also be spoiled,but:in a good way,as your comment clearly shows(yeah,thanks for freeing up a node for us 56k'ers bud!,we need that lol).but,if one nags about the speed of Avsim,then i'd say:patience my friend ;-)i am btw looking forward to june 2004,then dsl should be available here...yay!!!then i'm spoiled too...oh wait...i am spoiled already :-xxrotflmaokind regards