Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Problem running FS2K2

Dont know what I did, when I try to run FS I get initial black screen, then the resolution switch and a big black screen with the FS mouse (which moves) and nothing else happens. I have had no problems prior to this at all. last thing I did was to install the PAI Southwest autoinstall traffic file. I have renamed the traffic.bgl to the original and uninstaled the SW add on. Any ideas? Computer is hung on the black screen with moveable MSFS mouse and cant do anything else, must reset to get back usable system. Using GF4 Ti4200, WIN 98SE, 512mb DDR, Athlon 1.4ghz. Everything else appears to run normally. Not looking forward to a reinstall.Hornit

Quick FS2002 "fixit" checklist:Check the modules folder for non-default dll's. Back them up and move 'em to a safe place. Try to start FS. If it starts, restore them one by one until you find the offending module.Rename FS2002.cfg to fs2002.cfg.old Try to start FS. If it doesn't work, restore your old FS2002.cfgLocate my scenery.cfg post on the FS tips page at FSGateway.com. Backup your existing one, then try to use my "Default" scenery.cfg file. Try to start FS.Delete all scenery.dat files and all index_* files. Try to start FS.That's a start....

Well......I did all the above, no effect at all, here is what happened. After tweaking many a setting with GTU and the Nvidia clock utility, I discovered my monitor was doing some weird refresh things. Set it back to 75hz and all is fine again. I did reinstall the sim last night after about 3 hours of pulling my hair out and driver swapping etc. :) Luckily I backed up all my add-ons except some AI traffic and afcad stuff (easy to replace) So its working again and I'm happy. That is all it was!!!! Can't believe I did not check this prior to doing all the above....what a dope ;)Hornit

I had the same kind of problem a couple years ago. After spending an hour on the phone with tech support, changing to this driver and that driver, I finally checked the device manager and found three monitors listed there. That's what I get for taking it to the shop and letting them guys hook up their cheap arse crap monitors. For some reason, it decided to switch from my Sony Trinitron to one of those cheapies and all heck broke loose. Now, that's the first thing I check if anything unusual happens with the video.

Im kind of ###### at myself just because it was something so darned obvious. It was happening just prior to FS loading at the point where the program loads and it switched resolution to what I had set in the config. After deleting the FS2K2 cfg file it was NOT rebuilding it (was empty after a few start attempts) So I knew FS was not even loading after the res switch. After reinstalling It did the same thing so I knew it was driver or hardware related. All I did was to go to my monitor settings screen and check that...voila..it was trying to do too high a refresh..so simple a fix....wasted 3 hours last night. Im a hardware tweaker and system builder and I really should have included this in the trouble shooting at a much earlier stage..DOH!Hornit