Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

RADEON 9700 Problems.....

Does anyone else have this yet? I have to send mine back to get it replaced cause it kills my machine. Cyberpower has given me the option of going with the GeForce 4 4600ti instead. They say it's a more stable product. any feedback from you all would be appreciated.thanks

what prolems are you having (were you having) with the 9700? I have the same card and so far no problems with my new system. With my old system (2.0ghz) it was a disaster!Mike T.

it didn't work on anything that reguired high graphics(fs2002, CFS2, ghost recon, etc) it would lock or shut down my rig. i put my old Radeon 7200 in and it worked fine. i put the 9700 in my old machine, and it killed that too. The folks a Cyberpower said that about 95% of the caard are bad, and ATI is working on it. i guess you got lucky!!!

Guest PhilC

I had originally bought the 9700 Pro to replace my older Radeon video. After installing it, it would put my monitor into sleep mode as XP was starting up. After messing with it for a couple of days, I sent it back for a refund. I bought the Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb Golden Sample card and have been very happy with it. Great graphics, good speed (made to overclock), wonderful tweakers, decent drivers, etc.I never thought that I would abandon ATI, but this is one nice card. I'm sure that the 9700 Pro will be a fantastic card after they get their stuff together.Until then... I say go for the NVidia.

I can't believe this. Phil, weren't you trying to run your 9700 on a 200 watt power supply? This is a new generation video card. It requires decent equipment to support it. Put it in a machine with a 4 year old mobo and you're gonna have problems. Post this kind of stuff over at 3dRage and they'd roast you for dinner. I was just reading over there some guy's dibble about him overclocking his card and mobo and frying his system and blaming it on the video card. They had him for lunch.

Guest PhilC

Yeah mgd, that is correct. I assumed from his post that he was having similar problems because of a 'lower end' PC. I told him my experience and gave him my opinion, that's all.The bottom line as you said is if you don't have the system for it, then you need to make a change. My experience cost me a 15% restocking fee. The NVidia card is doing fine and it cost a lot less.I've been flamed for my opinions before. :-vuur

Phil; that wasn't directed at you. I meant it for A10C130's comments about 95% of the cards being bad. Guess, I should have put a paragraph in there with a new heading. Bad grammer!! I remember you having problems and thought you'd mentioned having a 220Watt PS and remember thinking that was probably causing most of your headaches. Maybe not though cause there was a fellow over on the 3dRage forums running his just fine with a 220watt Dell PS. Dell makes the best PS' available. They rate em' the correct way.

Hey guys, i got an AMD Athlon 2200, 512 corsair DDR, Gigabyte 7VAX KTY400 with a Thermaltake Volcano 6cu+, 3 case fans and a 420w power supply. The tech rep told me that alot of users are finding the 9700 very unstable, and causing lots of problems. Everything else on my machine is great, and i'm doing very well with my 7200 til my new card gets here. what a bummer. i want to stay with the Radeon, but i don't want to go thru another night of uninstalling and re--installing trying to get it to work. Do any of you think that the 9700 is that much better than the GeForce 4600ti that i should chance it and try it again? thanks for your interest in my problems, that's why i hang out here!Jay

I just got myself a Radeon 9700 Pro, so far so good. Have you installed the newest drivers for it? Apparently they come with some fixes for Direct 3D etc.I haven't had the change to test it too much, so I can't say if it's any better than my Ti4600, I'll post back with results in a while when I have done a fresh install :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest PhilC

Sorry mgd...It was late and I had spent the whole day in a recording session. I was beat.The bottom line as far as I'm concerned... the ATI cards are great. The 9700 Pro is most likely a wonderful card but you will need a system that can support it. I generally do not buy hardware as soon as it is released and I did not do a lot of research before I bought it. ATI has confirmed some problems with the card's compatibility with some systems and is working on flash releases and in some cases, hardware fixes to remedy them.Because my system was a PIII 1Ghz with a 220 watt PS is probably why I had trouble. I just am not ready to buy a new system yet and when I do, it will most likely have a 9700 Pro card in it unless I get totally hooked on NVidia during that time.Right now, the card I bought has made a dramatic improvement and I am very pleased. I did not expect a lot of fps increase, although I did get a couple more, but I was able to run most sliders up and maintain a decent fps. My main joy is that the textures are crisp and smooth and most stutters are gone. There's probably even more tweaking I can do to make it better. I'm still learning. For example, what the heck is a blitt? :-hmmm