Sign in to follow this  

This post is about Los Angeles

HelloI fly Los Angeles VFR in FS2002 almost every day. Can I have some suggestions how to improve my scenery for the most realistic flying experiance. I have already:Simflyers commercial Los Angeles KLAX Long Beach freeware KLGB sceneryJohn Wayne freeware KSNA sceneryThe freeware Hollywood addon where I get Griffith Park observatory10M commercial Mesh scenery of L.A areaAre there any more landmark buildings etc scenery I can download, any more airports, ground texture etc. How about Avalon, Catalina was there not a freeware addon before of this airport from FS Genesis, can

If you download one of the So. California Land class files, I believe you will find a much more realistic representation of greater LA. Even if the Simflyers release already contains land class files for LA proper, you will now have files for all the outlying areas. (i.e. way more urban terrain than the default files) You will also notice the 'swirl' pattern effect of tree/vegetation in the hills surrounding LA. This effect may be unique to the file I am using, and I can look up the Title/Author later if you like.Take care,John M.

I think the commercial LA mesh I bought also included land class scenery in a separate folder that I installed, but I can

Add AI traffic from projectAI (www.projectai.com). It is awesome to by flying around in LA and see all sorts of varietys of aircraft and hear them on the ATC radios

When I tried to mix Orlando's mesh with the freeware land class it was a horrible mess. All the textures got screwed up. So now I just use the mesh with the original textures and it looks okay. Wish I could use them both!

Use terrain mesh files from Eddie Denney. His terrain mesh for for FS2000 works very well in 2002. His terrain mesh for the state of California works with no problems at all. As far as how real it looks. I was in Anaheim the end of Sept and 2002 SoCal looked almost to a T like the real SoCal. You'll have to download KSNA cause MS goofed on the one in FS, there's no terminal!. Stick with the default scenery of the surrounding area except the for the Tustin blimp hangars, there's a download for that. Everthing else is good enough.....and RBANZAI, your little short of the runway that pic....

Hi Michael,Indeed I am using Matt's SoCAL landclass file, and I see now he has an up-dated file available: lc_cav2.zipTake care,John M

Guest captbulldog

It's not possible to fly LA and be "realistic" about it. LA has smog all the time and the vis is usually around 10mi. Unfortunately, when you download metar for LA area, FS gives you a nasty BLUE fog, not brown smog or gray haze.

True, but when I flew from KSNA to KLAX (i'll tell the tale if you really want to know) in real life we had close to twenty miles visibility in all directions. KSNA and the other major airports east of LA were visible from eastern Long Beach at 8,000 feet. It looked really hazy north of downtown LA but eveywhere else had good vis. Maybe flying on a Sunday had something to do with it.