Sign in to follow this  

Landing is more difficult with

Guest dek

Thanks Geofa, I'll give it another go. Perhaps I was a bit hasty.dek

Guest Anticyclone

Dek,This head latency function is so subjective.Have also be flying 172's for many years and many hours (and many other airplanes).Here is how we tried to simulate the effect :A few years ago, flying aerobatics ( on Extra 300 S), I fixed a small handy cam (Sony PC100) on my head to verify if my maneuvers were correctly performed. After monitoring the video I observed that my head was "bobbling" more than what I though, even in normal flying (don't tell you what happen when making an "avalanche" or a snap roll). So what happen in reality, if your head moves slightly the eyes are naturally compensating. Some months after I did another recording while piloting a C210 Centurion. Video and head natural effects were the same. Last year I made a flight from EBBR to KORD sitting on the jumpseat of a A340. A few seconds before V1 it was not possible to have a stable video shooting, although I hold the handy cam on the right side of my head. Check on the net, there are lot of videos shotted in an airliner cockpit, aircraft rolling on a runway for take-off. Is it not slightly bouncing ? So I agree with you when you say that in normal flying it is not the body that swing forth and back, but I want to add that your head "bounces", slightly.In AC Pro the pilot body and head do not lag behind the aircraft in going from 0 to 60 deg bank, unless you put the stick and rudder full left/right. In the reality if you do so believe me your head can not follow the movement (either horizontal and / or vertical axis).We did simulate the "latency" of the head, not the latency of the body. We did not yet simulated neither the natural muscle compensation nor the natural eyes compensation (for a future release ?).Finally you did the right thing by removing the add-on from your directory. You are free to try it, and free to remove it. Anyway it was interesting to have your opinion, it allowed me to give mine.Reply to Fred,"I also didn't like it, more because it seemed to make the VC view stutter. It wasn't smooth anymore even though I was running at 30 frames/second.and from someone who has flown the little birds, I never had to look to the side to land...I always looked forward."It depends on the graphic card and drivers you use. On my P3 800 GForce 2 it slightly stutters too. On my AMD 1800 GForce 4 it is very smooth. In fact Guillaume who programmed the head latency function made a complex algoritm, computing an offset, refreshed in actual time every 1/100 second. On some machines the refresh takes some milliseconds more.Personnaly I always have a quick look on the left/right while landing. One or two seconds before touch down, once I'm sure the runway axis is OK it is a better way to have a quick check outside of the cockpit in order to appreciate the ground distance and take the decision of initiating the flare. It can avoid "bouncy" landings. It is mandatory with taildraggers like the Extra 300 or Pitts S2B, Piper Cub, and IMHO not a bad method on other planes.Reply to Phil,"I still wish there was a keystroke to disable and enable latency at will".OK, will be featured in a future release.Regards to all and thanks for feedback,Serge BAYEAntiCyclone

Well I can't even land a helicopter with it off so that doesn't mean much to me :) I tried and tried...but I just don't have the feel...

"Pressing the space bar to restore forward view is not enough as also you have to adjust the height of your seat by presssing shift&Enter key."You can actually make it remember the height of the seat, so you only have to press one key to look forward. Just assign a key to "Look Forward".

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I love the effect, and like others find it must be turned down, but it makes it feel more real to me. And the added panning capability is fantastic.B

Hi all,Firstly just like to point out that it is some great addon! Being a real pilot also, i wouldn't hesitate to turn the head latency rate down from 3 to something more realistic approx. 0.25 - 0.5.The head as you all put it "bobbles" about too much when above these levels and therefore it's possible to simulate real flying after a few pints :DIt is an excellent feature though. Throughout my flying hours head latency for myelf personally tends to be around about the settings stated above to nil (just helping those non real flyers out there).The ground turbulence effect is another great effect, i've just tried it in the 737, and WOOOOW - you actually start to visualise what it's really like. Only now to try it in the sky (if it will work?).Hope this helpsWill

Speaking as another real world GA pilot I have to say this is one of the best add-ons in years simply because it so much enhances the reality of simulated flight For the first time I feel like I could really be up there! As for making landings more difficult, this too adds to the realism. As Geoff said in an early post the sim is way too forgiving.I'd be amazed if Microsoft does not incorporate this feature in its next version. Congratulations and sincere thanks to the developers.Airdog

And as another real world pilot......... I have lowered the setting to .5 from 1.5. I too, felt that my head was getting jolted around too much which sometimes caused me to loose sight of the runway. Of course, I was doing stunt pilot type approaches, but then stunt pilots need to keep an eye on the runway too!L.Adamson

Just a thought, but does it not say in the docs that when you are using the VC you should set your fps to 25? With it set to that it actually is quite smooth.Duke

I found particularly convincing (and enjoyable) when it stops as soon as you're airborne.