Sign in to follow this  

Landing is more difficult with

With the head latency effect in Active Camera Pro, I find landing more difficult. I have crashed or landed some way off near the middle of the runway quite a few times. While fine tuning on the joystick to center on the runway and height adjustment, the latency effect bounces the front cockpit view thus hiding the runway from site and also giving false sense of the height above the runway both which contributes to the failed landing.Shri

That's why a lot of pilots look to the side. Cas

>That's why a lot of pilots look to the side. >>Cas They (pilots) look not straight on to the side but to the side and down to watch the runway below. We cannot do that. So we have to depend on forward vision. I too like to look to the side, but switching back quickly is important as it is few moments before landing. Pressing the space bar to restore forward view is not enough as also you have to adjust the height of your seat by presssing shift&Enter key.Shri

If you don't like it-turn it off! All I can say is as a pilot-the latency has made my still computer monitor one step closer to the real motion feeling of real life. I find it adds to realism greatly.It is nice that they give the option of not using it to those who don't want it. http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest dek

Shri, I don't know if you are a pilot or not, but I've been flying C172's for many years. I have never ever had my head "bobble" anywhere! For example, in a bank with your airplane at 60 deg, your body should also be at 60 deg. Your body and head do not lag behind the aircraft in going from 0 to 60 deg bank. So why should your head "bobble"?I do not use this program because I find it unrealistic. Your body does not swing back and forth like that in a real C172.Also, unless I'm landing on a rough dirt strip, the nose of the aircraft does not bounce around. I know that a lot of people really like this program and it is clearly a neat piece of work that took brains and work to do. So maybe I'm missing something. And being freeware, I hate to say anything negative about it.And yes, I have played around with the settings. To be realistic I need to turn them down so much that there were no effects.Just my opinion, dekps. I never could get the external view to work, even when the internal view was on.

I agree your head does not "bobble" which is why I have the setting quite low- .5.However, it gives a still computer monitor the sense of motion you get in a real plane-when you make a turn you virtually feel something instead of a flat screen response. I find in instrument work I get the same woozy sensation when the instrument don't match what the body feels. That is why I like this feature and think it adds considerably to realism.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

I also didn't like it, more because it seemed to make the VC view stutter. It wasn't smooth anymore even though I was running at 30 frames/second.and from someone who has flown the little birds, I never had to look to the side to land...I always looked forward.

No bobbling here either but it sure is nice to match real life when you are on your initial climb with a BUMP BUMP BUMP of some light turbulance in a Cessna 152 or 172. Your rump moves after the aircraft does. Im certainly not welded to the seat. On turns, even so slight your body stays upright then it will catch up with the aircraft. I know I've done it. Especially at first because I hated the feeling of, Thinking, I was going to fall out the door! 152's are a little tight you know.Cas

Geof>If you don't like it-turn it off! Sorry that is a defeatist attitude. I never said it to mean that way. I expressd my difficulty to find ways and means of getting over it. As I know it is more into realism and I discovered landing more difficult after this program. Also I wanted to know whether anyone else who like me landing was a breeze now just became a nightmare! >It is nice that they give the option of not using it to >those who don't want it. That was certainly not my option. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Shri

"That was certainly not my option. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. "That comment was not addressed to you personally but was a compliment to the programmers that they included this feature. On a feature like this some will love it and some will hate it so I give great credit to the programmers to have the forsite to allow the end user to decide."Also I wanted to know whether anyone else who like me landing was a breeze "I don't consider any landing a breeze-and FS is for sure way too forgiving.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest jase439

I am running with latency at 0.5 also. More than this, might be more appropriate for high-performance aircraft, but I found this setting to be pretty much in line for most of my GA fleet.I agree with your assessment - it's not perfect, but it comes ALOT closer to "being there" than without it.The only angst I have with this add-on is that it makes the virtual cockpit "shimmer" and "shudder". I suspect this is due to subtle micro-changes in forces on the aircraft causing the view position to bobble ever so slightly. At 25-30 fps, this would likely cause such an effect.

Guest PhilC

I noticed the shimmering also and meant to post here about it but never did. I'm glad to hear others see it also although I wish we didn't. I also have latency set at .5, more than that is just too unreal for me.At first I didn't care for the exaggerated movements when taxiing. When making a turn it just seems that the head moves too much. One thing I have found is that it takes a little time to adjust yourself to ActiveCamera but, once you do, it is a blast to fly with. I still wish there was a keystroke to disable and enable latency at will. I hate having to go to the menu to set it at zero when I want to turn it off for some reason.All in all, I love it!

Exactly. Even if the movements of the virtual head are not physically accurate they convey an impression which I also see as essential. Maybe some elasticity/resistance could be added to simulate the muscles' compensation. I'm sure it will later, because I don't see as one can simfly without this idea...

Guest Dakota

If you want a real challenge. Try landing a helicopter with it on.