Sign in to follow this  

How to stop video and audio stuttering in Windows XP

First let me say that I feel your pain, the constant video hiccups/stuttering was driving me nuts. Fortunately I found a solution for my 2.2ghz P4 with 1 gig of ram, SB Audigy, and Ti4600 graphics.The November edition of Computer Gaming World features an article on how to "Speed Tweak Windows XP." I followed the five easy steps, and tadaa!! Yes there must be a God!

care to share the tweeks with us? I sure could use them.

Guest gasebah

Yes, pleeze. This magazine is sure not available here in Germany.Alex

I get stuttering when using any Nvidia Det. 40.xx driver. Works fine with the 20.xx and 30.xx drivers. Worth checking out if you're having problems with the audio.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Audio stuttering can be removed by calling the 'DXDiag' program under c:windowssystem32.Go to the 'sound' section and move the acceleration slider to the left ... to 'basic acceleration', or however your version calls it.-Uwe-

Guest flightpro08

Though I don't suffer from any stutters in XP, I'd also like to know the 5 tips you used to speed up XP. Always looking to gain a frame or two. ;-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Thing is for me it's not a frame rate issue at all, no matter where I set my frame rate it stays pretty much maxed out, but after a few minutes I start to get very bad stutters in the game, most noticible when changing views (also makes the sound cut in and out) and it takes about a minute for the view to actually change. All the while the frame rates are still maxed???

Guest Dean

>Thing is for me it's not a frame rate issue at all, no >matter where I set my frame rate it stays pretty much maxed >out, but after a few minutes I start to get very bad >stutters in the game, most noticible when changing views >(also makes the sound cut in and out) and it takes about a >minute for the view to actually change. All the while the >frame rates are still maxed??? I had a very similiar problem and after a few months of trying everything I could think of I discovered it was caused by my entering the joystick calibration properties page from within FS2002. As soon as I stopped doing that the audio/video stuttering stopped.

I had a very similiar problem and after a few months of trying everything I could think of I discovered it was caused by my entering the joystick calibration properties page from within FS2002. As soon as I stopped doing that the audio/video stuttering stopped.Weird...Don't think I've ever done that???

I also have this sound stuttering problem. Especially noticable from ATC voice. The sound crackles, stutters, pops etc. At times it get so bad it gets robot like voice. Then I have times when it is clear. I sometimes suspect joystick too but have no way of knowing. Many things have changed lately (this is a recent problem). Suspects include: SP1, new NVIDIA drivers 40.xx, joystick, Editvoice, latest SB driver. I have tried the slider tip in DXdiag reducing it to standard but that did not help. When you say you eliminated this by not going inot joystick calibration in FS not sure what you mean. Were you going into calibration every session? How did you reverse this effect? Thanks to anyone with ideas or solutions.

A shameless bit of free advertising.... I'm disgusted... yuck!:-)Pete

I might try buying this mag over the weekend and post these 5 steps here at AVSIM. If I can find it a local bookstore.Bruce.

I sat down at a coffee shop in a magazine store today and read this magazine- found the article (page 142, as I recall). I find it hard to believe that people actually read this :) . Anyway- since our learned colleague chose not to share the 5 magic steps, let me do so (I wrote them in a napkin, since I didn't actually buy the magazine);1. In Control Panel / System: Disable System restore, Automatic Updating, Remote Assistance.2. Stop Windows Messaging (I found this interesting): Run C:WindowsInfsysoc.inf. Look for the line msmsgs=, and delete the word "hide". Then stop the app in CPAdd Remove Programs.3. CP/Administrative Tools/Services. Here you can change processes from Automatic start-up to Manual. 4. Swap File: Advice to stop XP from re-sizing. This has been around sonceWin95.5. Run/MSCONFIG/Startup. Just for those who really wondered what this article was about. Any questions, e-mail me.Thanks,Bruce.

I has this problem with win2k.What was causing this was I had my sidewinder game pad unpluged so it says "not connected" while my usb yoke and pedals were connected.For some reason when I removed the sidewinder game pad altogether the stutters stoped.I also HIGHLY recommend the following :turn off all services you will not use from the admin services gui I do run 18 processes. Most of which have to run by default .Iam also behind a firewall. I have a seprate machine that is nothing but a firewall and then another that is nothing but a mail server and DNS .Since I have these I do not have to run alot of the required networking services.You might have to run DNS and DHCP.This is what I do not run , you may or may not be able to the same depending on your setup.This also is with win2k but the services are not much different for winxp home or pro .Keep in mind this is for my setup and it might not work for you so i will not be responsible if you use this and it messes something up.At best just use the STOP funtion for now and just turn the service off and take it from there.The ones that are manual are services that i have stoped and only run if needed.Disabled means they do not run at all DOH :)1.Alerter (manual)2.Application Manager (manual)3.Automatic updates (disabled)4.Background Intell (manual)5.Clipbook (manual) 6.COM+event (manual) 6.DHCP (disabled ) unless you need it for cable modem7.Distributed link (disabled)8.Distributed Trans (disabled)9.DNS client (disabled) unless you need it most likely you do 10.Event log (auto)11.Fax serivce (disabled)12.Indexing service (manual)13.Internet connection sharing(disabled) unless you do ip forwarding 13.IPSEC policy (disabled) unless you really need it 14.Logical Disk Manger (disabled)15.Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (disabled)16.Messenger (disabled)17.Net Logon (auto)18.NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (disabled)19.Network Connections (manual) 20.Network DDE (disabled) might be useful if not behind a firewall21.Network DDE DSDM (disabled)22.NT LM Security Support Provider (disabled) if behind a firewall23.Performance Logs and Alerts (manual) 24.Plug and Play (auto) 25. Print Spooler (auto)26.Protected Storage (auto)27.QoS RSVP (disabled) unless REALLY needed 28.Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (disabled)29.Remote Access Connection Manager (disabled) you might need it I don't30.Remote Procedure Call (RPC)(auto)31.Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator (disabled) you might need it I don't32.Remote Registry Service (disabled)33.Removable Storage (disabled) unless you have a external drive 34.Routing and Remote Access (disabled)35.RunAs Service (disabled) unless you need it 36.Security Accounts Manager (auto)37.Smart Card (disabled)38.Smart Card Helper (disabled)39.System Event Notification (auto)40.Task Scheduler (disabled) unless you want it :)41.TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service (disabled) you might need this one if on dsl42.Telephony (disabled) unless you are on dial up or dsl 43.Telnet (disabled) 44.Uninterruptible Power Supply (disabled) unless you have a battery back up unti like UPS 45.Utility Manager (disabled)the rest on Last make sure you have all of the win xp patches.Go and get the drivers for your hardware from than manufactures website rather than through windows update.I think makes more sence :) .This should help free up alot of resources and make everything run a bit better.Do a disk defrag last . good luckRichard Dillon KPDKSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta TeamPAI beta tester ____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3