Sign in to follow this  

Yoke - worth it?

Guest Muppet22

As an avid flightsimmer of exclusively the PIC767 package I am considering buying a yoke probably a CH Products one. Should cost about

I picked my Yoke from a coworker for about half price but really like it. It's also a comfort thing for me, as holding the joystick steady seemed to cause my hand to cramp up, whereas the yoke seems much more comfortable over long periods. It also does seem to feel much more realistic for airplanes that actually use a yoke. I really like it, and luckily I got a matching CH Pro Pedal setup for my birthday shortly after :)One thing I have found though is that after a while the yoke gets a little "sticky" when trying to make small pitch corrections on final. I tried a few lubes and silicone lube seemed to work decently and smoothed it up a bit. Still a bit sticky when only using one hand on the yoke (seems to bind it up against the guides on the front and rear of the case a bit) but it's very smooth when using two hands now.Plus the throttle/prop/mixture levers, the flap and gear switches, and the other buttons on the yoke really take care of most of the controls you will need, meaning you reach for the keyboard to do things less often.

Guest flightpro08

I have the CH Products USB Yoke and Foot Pedals and love them. I also fly the PIC767 quite often, and they work great. If you're going to get the yoke, I'd also recommend getting the foot pedals as well, as they work perfectly together. Just an FYI, I got mine here at the AVSIM store.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Go for the yoke. And get the pedals too if you can manage it.You will not believe the difference it makes.Pat

I have the CH USB yoke and pedals and love them! I highly recommend them. Just like one of the posts above, I also found using the joystick on longer flights cause hand cramps, etc. Definitely go for it.KP

Agreed. A yoke makes a big difference.I have the CH Yoke, pedals and throttle (all USB) and love them.

I also have the ch yoke and pedals and they work perfectly, especially now that I can assign a button on the yoke for the Roger Wilco mic. I also use them together with the throttle part of a Saitek X45 hotas system which makes it even nicer (not to mention more buttons to program).If I only could afford some GoFlight stuff too - have to wait a couple of months I'm afraid...Regards,Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

no question about it! i LOVE my yoke! i had to wait a bit to get the rudder pedals too, but now that i have both, my friends come over to MY place to fly!definetely get them....well worth it.chris

Guest CapnCol

I have seen the yokes from CH but it appears that they are not compatible with windows XP. Is this the case?I really would like to get my hands on one!!!Colin

Guest Muppet22

Excellent - might just go and order one then!:-)

I got my CH Yoke and pedals last February from RC Simulations.I paid 125 quid for the yoke and 110 for the pedals.IMHO they are a bit of a mixed bag. The build quality leaves an awful lot to be desired, especially for the price we have to pay in the UK. I also had problems with the shaft sticking. I tried spraying some WD40 on it but it was still sticking. In the end I cleaned all the WD40 off and used graphite powder. I just rubbed down a 2B pencil on a piece of wet and dry paper and applied it to the shaft with a makeup brush. The movement is much smoother now.The placement of the throttle/propeller/mixture levers isn't very good either. The right stalk of the yoke gets in the way, especially when flying finals and you need to make throttle adjustments. In the end I settled on using the throttle from my Saitek X36, and reassigned the throttle lever on the yoke to control the spoilers.Basically we're very limited in choice when it comes to yokes. We can go for the "cheap" CH yoke, which isn't really cheap at all if you are buying in the UK, or we could go for the more high end stuff which you would end up paying the best part of 500 quid for over here.If you've got the money to spare, then get the yoke by all means, just be warned that the design and build are fairly low quality. If you do go for the yoke then get the pedals too, as together they do make a big improvement when flying (they also double up as a handy steering wheel and pedals for Grand Prix 4 :-) )