Sign in to follow this  

What is this Boeing/Airbus Feud?

I have noticed some quite candid torts and retorts between Boeing fans and Airbus fans. What is going on here? C'mon, get it off your chest..Thaellar

It's just that the USA is the biggest and the best so they get a little hurt when some upstart plane maker actually challenges the might of Boeing.That's bad enough but when the plane maker is a bunch of Limeys (sp?) with some other Europeans thrown in that makes things even worse.They still try to forget that the only Country to have commercial supersonic flight are those Limeys.Right back to the dug out now LOL

Some people just have manufacturer loyalty to one or the other company. Alot of people decide which company they like by the appearance of the plane, but not me :-hah. I did a bit of research before I decided upon giving my loyalty to Airbus :). It's not something that should start flame wars, though. To each his own...

Personally I am a fan of Boeing, for one because it's all I've ever ridden on, and two, they are built about 5 miles from my house :) (the 727, 737 and 757 anyway. The 747, 767 and 777 are built about 20 miles away). I think Airbus are probably quite fine aircraft, in fact I enjoy flying them in FS from time to time (Project Airbus). Think this is no different than other brand loyalties...cars, jeans, electronics whatever. I don't think it's always a US vs. Europe thing...not for everyone anyways.

@nramsey-heh, the funny thing is, I live in the Seattle area too and I'm an Airbus fan. Figure that one out! :-lol

I also live in the Seattle greater area, and I must say that brand loyalty is a bit like sports ... root if you want, but in the big picture it means very little. It would be locally nice if Boeing could take market share whenever they wanted cuz it would boost the economy in the NW, but when your dealing with governments or companys as large as these, to imaging having anything other than a spectator seat is unreal.And of course 20 years after the fact you find out the stuff you believed about the morals or ethics about the company was hogwash, but the expertise at mis-information kept you from seeing it at the time....so who knows. Like rooting for any major corporation is kind of like rooting for the yankees.....boring.Bob B

The A330-200 is about my favorite heavy. Now, If someone would point me in the direction for a new A340-300, payware or not, I'd have that in my hangar. The A340-300 is my absolute favorite. Haven't seen a new model yet. Did I miss it?

Guest RiddlePilot

I'm gonna step in here, as my friends and I talked about it a little today between classes (we do go to an aviation university, what do you expect?) The Airbus is a little too automated for my liking. Throttle Gates, Push/Pull buttons for autopilot, 3 different levels of automation, etc etc is a bit more than I'd like a computer to be doing. If the pilot makes an incorrect input and doesn't realize it, its much easier for him to get into trouble. From my experiences with the PSS A3xx, there's alot going on deep down inside that you really can't see.The Boeing is more of a kick the tires, light the fires type plane in my opinion. Sure there's a level of automation with the FMC and all, but I feel that I'm much more in control when flying the DF737.The learning curve for all of the systems are a little more drastic for the Airbus, which may be my downfall and reasoning behind forming these opinions.On a positive note for Airbus...I can see why the airlines like them. They stick to the cost index settings like a bug on flypaper. I've yet to land with any less fuel than predicted.

I personally think the Boeing/Airbus battle is hilarious myself... both manufacturers have their pros and cons like everyone else. But for someone to say blah blah sucks, I'd never fly one of those is ridiculous (not that anyone has said this in this post, but I have seen it posted other places)The way I look at it is this...I'm a pilot, I'm personally partial to the 777 myself, but if some company offers me a job on a 319 or a 737 do you think I'm gonna say NO I'll only fly a 777!!!Chris

In real life as long as it gets me from point a to point b without draining the pocketbook...I could care less wether or not the airline has chosen Airbus or Boeing. Each type has its merits and drawbacks. I used to be very anti airbus until I took a couple of trips on A320/319's. They were a nice ride and (I know this is sacrelige(sp))not too diffrent from a Boeing on the inside. I do like the look of the A-330, but I do really like the 757 for sheer power. Its a toss up...both have their up and down points. I think the biggest thing for a paying customer is how the airline configures the inside of the aircraft. I have been on some airlines that set up the inside like a cattle car (both Boeing and Airbus) and some that had very reasonable and comfortable coach seating (Boeing and Airbus). Just my two cents...............

For me it's just a plane by plane basis. Most of my distate for Airbus comes from their widebodys, all of them are either too fat or too long, and it's quite disturbing (same goes for the 764 and 739 with Boeing). Basically I have no actual loyalties to either, just choose per plane.Scott

I think CEO of Continental captured this Boeing/Airbus choice quite well - it is like chosing ice cream - one day you want vanilla, another day it is chocolate you prefer.I only wish this Boeing-Airbus duel was absolutely level-field since Airbus is getting those suspect "loans" from governments - EDA who owns 80% of Airbus - no US accountant so far has been able to make sense of their numbers. Michael J.

Guest BC_KBOS

Well, from a maintenance perspective, and I am a maintenance person on both, here is the deal (Aircraft Maintainers will understand)...You go at a Boeing with a hammer and a really big screwdriver.You do that with an Airbus and you will break it.Not that Airbus aircraft are flimsy or anything, but you need special tools for just about anything, even the windshield wiper set screw is an odd ball metric size.A Boeing is like a Harley, you could (not legally) get spare parts from a hardware store.An Airbus is.."specialized".That's OK, but it's easy to work on a Boeing (generally speaking), but you have to think to work on a 'Bus.That is OK, as we do actually get paid to think.People don't like the automation introduced on the 'Bus, but Boeing is going the same way, it IS the way of the future, so we better get used to it.My main complaint in general towards BOTH now, is that the automation causes many to become complacent and let "the box" do the work. When the box fails, many are left without a clue as to what just happened and how to compensate, because they either forgot, or worse, never learned, the basics.John Goglia from the NTSB said it best when he stated in AMT Magazine: "There is no computer in the world, and there will never be one built, that will replace the one between your ears".I really, really like that guy.BC

>I only wish this Boeing-Airbus duel was absolutely level-field since Airbus is getting those suspect "loans" from governments

Of course, in Europe, "odd ball metric sizes" are the norm, and "odd ball US sizes" are hard to deal with. Which, years ago, might have influenced US Airlines to fly Boeing, MDD, and Lockheed, while European airlines flew BAC, Aerospatiale, etc. Now, parts are just as easy to come by wherever you are, and it's only the knowledge that has to be taught. As you say, you do get paid to think.Anyway, I'm rooting for Embraer :)Matt