Sign in to follow this  

how to disable auto rudder from nose gear??

Hi all i just want to know if in Fs2002 when u uncheck the autorudder box is this now supposed to decouple the nose gear steering so when u land and (especially in a crosswind) using the rudder that you do not end up with the nosegear at a ninety degree angle like the screenshot shows. i tried landing with the autorudder feature on and off and with the same results- the nosegear will not stay pointed down the runway when u use the rudder- it flops all ovetr the place- can this be fixed??

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No. Autorudder only couples/decouples the aileron and rudder. It doesn't affect the nose gear. I'm not so sure about airliners (I know they use a tiller, but not sure if rudder pedals have any authority over nosegear at all), but the little planes almost always have the rudder pedals connected to both the nose gear and rudder. The exception is in taildraggers/tailwheels and those with castering nose wheel. I should also mention that Cessna's have a release mechanism that allows the rudder to move independent from the nose gear unlike Pipers, but that's another story.I doubt MS thought to disable this feature in heavies since most folks don't have a tiller attached to their computers.

All of Ken's message is correct. Enabling autorudder allows you to steer with the ailerons, which may be a tad more comfortable for those that are used to steering with a steering handle or tiller. If you have a twist-grip joystick, however, using the rudder would be better, becuase it feels a mit more like the nosegear steering handle.