Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

Windows XP SP1..Should I install it?

Guest ScottPilot

Hello, I just received the Windows XP Service Pack 1 in the mail today.After reading several posts in this forum, I would like to get some additional feedback if I should attempt the SP1 update or not?I have heard that certain video drivers are not compatable, is that true?Also, can the SP1 be un-installed, in case it screws things up?Any input would be appreciated!Scott :-)My System:PIII 1GHZ512MB SDRAMVisiontek Xtasty GF4 64MB Card with nvidia drivers 30.82Windows XP ProFS2K2 Proand more..

Yep, XPSP1 can be uninstalled. That said, I am running it with NVIDIA 40.41 drivers for my Geforce 4 Ti4200 and it works fine.

Guest flightpro08

SP1 works just fine for me. While it didn't "speed up" anything, the flickering textures I expereinced in FS2k2 are just about gone (due to the upgrade in DirectX.) I'd recommend installing it with the option to uninstall it, as it hasn't worked as well with other systems.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

I was one of the folks with the problems with it the first time I installed it due to ragged out lettering in the sim.Suggest three things.1. Install SP1 with option to uninstall.2. Install normally3. Replace your video driver with 40.72 beta 3 driver now out.That combination WORKS without a hitch. Long thread on this at flightsim.com and thats the conventional wisdom I can back up with my own experience last night.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest TerryT

Scott, I too had serious problems with SP-1 in Win XP Home. My computer would not come out of a "Boot" mode until I removed SP1. Here is an alternate way to protect your system without putting all of the Microsoft junk into your operating system. (like there is is none right now) http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windows...3399191,00.html Alternative to SP1 If, for whatever reason, you don't or can't download SP1, there is an alternative method to fixing the XP security hole. The alternative solution involves renaming or deleting a file on your system. Here are the steps. Start a file search in Windows XP.Search for a file named uplddrvinfo.htm Once you've found the file, delete it or rename it. Doing so will not hinder your ability to use Windows XP.I know it works as when I tried to install it (above) it had already been placed there by the faulty SP-1 and was "NOT" remeoved in the "Delete" process.Hope this gives you another view on the SP-1 problem.Terry

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question!I went ahead and installed SP-1 of the CD that I obtained from Microsoft and I am happy to report that all went very well.I was even able to leave my Nvidia driver version at the 30.82WHQL version for now.After running flight simulator, it seems smoother since installing SP-1.When the WHQL certified version of the 4072's is released, then I will give them a try!Thanks again for the input!Scott :-):-beerchug