Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

If you can, listen in on JFK ATC......it's a madhouse r

There up to 30 min holds just on the taxiways. They got a racetrack pattern going right now on the taxiways due to a rwy change. Arrivals have to wait at least 30 min to even get to the gates. They just told this Delta aircraft they are number 32 for takeoff!! What a mess.

Eric 

I have seen it so bad that they turn 31R/13L into a taxiway with aircraft parked from the east end of the runway all the way out to the crosing of 22/4. Its just a crappy airport that was added on to and added on to over the years and it wasn't thought out real well. On days when there are thunderstorm delays the wait can be hours. I have personally sat on the taxiway for over 3 hours there with perfectly blue skies overhead and around the city but lines of storms to the west causing brutal delays.hornit

Compounding the fiasco tonight was heavy rain at times. That and an Air China driver who could not understand "Taxi Q to PB, left on PB, left on P to B". Finally the "friendly" (on his last nerve) GND controller says, "See the control tower, taxi towards that direction". I have never seen where all the arrivals were coming in on 13L and made to turn left off the active onto taxiway C. They kept lining all the arrivals way over on C for 30 min's or more. Controllers kept telling then that due to total saturation of taxiways A and B, there was no room for any arrivals over there.Hornit-- your a real world driver, you would have thought that the FAA wouldn't let JFK get this cluster****ed but the arrivals just kept poring in backing everything up. They had so many arrivals that C got full and they started using Y while 22R was full with departures waiting for a slot to get onto the taxiway to get to 13R. The backup started lasting so long that pilots started saying they needed to get back to the gate for more fuel but there was no taxiway clear for them to even do that! It was so confusing that I kept hearing a different ground controller every 15 min.. the stress must have been sky high!

Eric 

Its not just KJFK. The entire NY/NJ metropolitan area is a cluster.You've got JFK, Newark, La Guardia, Teterboro all in the same area with a 40 year old ATC system, plus national control of take offs and landings. Worse, the US Governments weather radars can only determine storm locations within 8 miles. Most airline Ops have radars that can see storms down to within 2 miles. This makes for a lot of arguments between the airlines and the FAA on whether a ground hold is appropriate.Storms cause major hell on the US East coast in the summer. Im a passenger flying between NY/NJ and atlanta at least 50 times a year. Some Continental, but mostly Delta. I've been number 26 for departure out of newark so many times its disgusting.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest BC_KBOS

What's disgusting is that people don't get that you can't fit fifty pounds of effluvia in a five pound hole.It was "BAD" when 20 international arrivals and 50 domestic arrivals were trying to land JFK at the same time.Now you get an extra 50+ "regional jets" into the mix. These guys have the "anti-heavy" bug, so that is NOT an added attraction. Throw in some weather and down line restrictions and you have a stoppage.This is a scenario where the customers are killing the product.. Everyone wants to get where they want to go RIGHT NOW and the airlines are trying to meet that need/desire.Unfortunately, it is not actually possible.There is "X" amount of real estate and "Y" amount of volume.In the olde days, "X" real estate handled a few 747's and a bunch of 727's. There were delays, but not painful. Now, the 747's are going away for smaller long range craft, but more of them to different places.Dispersal is GONE.Now we have congestion due a need to meet passenger demand. "Y" volume has skyrocketed, but with the same "X" real estate.It is not the fault of the ATC system.It is the fault of US wanting it now.BC

yeah i felt these delays today. i work on the ramp at EWR. my company services America West, Air Canada, Southeast, and National Airlines at terminal A. the only one that was on time was National. the rest were delayed. hell we even got stuck in the afternoon shift doing some of the ones that were supposed to be in for the morning shift guys. very hectic and busy once they started coming in all clumped up together. we didnt get done untill 2am.we sure as hell never delayed them by the ground crews fault tho. either left on time or if some passenger was late or something like that then theyd get delayed a few minutes. :)and we only had 10 guys on the ramp total!go Worldwide!!

My wife went to Atlanta from Orlando on Thursday via AirTran. She was to depart arount 1430, didn't leave until 1630 because of traffic buildup around Atlanta due to weather.I told her my FS2002 AI Airtran flight left on-time and landed on-time at Atlanta, so she should have travelled via cyberworld instead!:-lolI blame it all on Project AI and their Delta package plus Bill Molony's Atlanta Scenery package. They got Hot-lanta steamin'!!:-lolEven Bill's race cars are running under a Yellow flag because of the buildup!:-roll

Guest united777

I sure do like listening to this freq! did any of you hear about AA 860 I think it was, it was around 10am-ish NY time and it had to do an emergency landing @ KJFK after they got an alarm saying that they were getting a reading of no Oil in the n2 engine. was quite cool to hear, they landing successfully and no delays happened. I am still waiting to hear that "Delta xx you are number 24 for take off" or somthing like that ,what time would I hear that for the ny area if I live in europe(GMT?)"... AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"[b/]

Well, the evening bank of flights to Europe get really cranking between 1830-2030hrs local so that would be 2230-0030hrs GMT. If the weather is bad a JFK....expect hearing the "Delta XX heavy, your number 29 for departure".

Eric