Sign in to follow this  

About VCs....

I like the Virtual Cockpit. Panning around the inside of the cockpit feels much more natural that the click views. In real-life do you jerk your head around to the left and the right? Of course not. The virtual cockpit is here to stay and will only get better and eventually become the cockpit of choice. I understand the issues of readability, but that will be overcome with higher resolution panels. By this time FS2004 comes out, 2GHz computers will be regarded as low end machines and our currently brand new Radeons and G4s will all be old crappy video cards.VC's are the future whether you want them to be or not. Embrace them. Demand that they be included and improved.

As I have stated many times, I don't fly without them.Also I rarely fly aircraft that don't have sophisticated panels like the PSS Airbus and the 421C have. Most my flights last for many hours and I like the realistic perspective that VC's give. :-)SteveCYYZ

I find the VC's only good for looking around if I am bored or have been warned about a close aircraft. Otherwise I just use the 2d panel.I for one plan to stick with 2002. I laugh cause everybody cant wait for 2004 and I bet 2 months after that everbody will be talking about the next version and how much better it will be. It's alot of hype. I am done with spending more money for addons that wont be used in 2 years. Long Live 2002Andrew

Same here. If they looked that good on my machine AND had all everything fully functional so I can can flip switches etc. from the VC I would use them too.On my machine most if not all look like a blurred mess with hardly readable gauges (plus the perspective in most is way wrong).

That's never been stated by Microsoft themselves. They will not feature 2D pits in CFS3, but they also said that with CFS3 the development paths of the sims are no longer synchronised so features from one are not almost automatically to be found in the other.Apart from the poor visuals (in general), poor gauge readability and lack of clickable gauges (so you have to go back to 2D to flip a switch etc.) there is another problem with VCs.They exclude (in the current system) you from the option of putting in another panel. They are linked hard to the MDL (in fact, are part of the MDL) so you cannot replace just the panel with a better (or easier if you're lazy :-)) one. Now Microsoft might be able to solve that by providing the VC as a separate entity much like they do with the 2D panels now, but FS2002 does not offer that and at the very least it would make panel development a lot more complicated.

Guest jason2112

I really enjoy a GOOD VC, but they're hard to find! I like the default Cessna VCs, because they are very crisp, at least on my system. But a lot of freeware VCs are hardly usable for me - which should not really be understood as a complaint, because those freeware authors bring so much fun to my flying, I can't thank them enough!!! But it just shows that it's much harder to build a good virtual cockpit than a 2D panel.One problem for me that was not mentioned yet is to find a good position in the VC. I want to see the main gauges including the VSI, and have a good look at the landscape outside. With a lot of VCs that's only possible in a wide angle view, but the distortions in these wide angles make me sick, really ;)My favourite VC is the Cessna 421C's, shown in a post above. Very good default position, and in special conditions, I move my position up until I only see the upper row of gauges, which gives a perfect view of the ground in front of the plane.I normally have the radio stack and/or GPS on my second monitor. Nothing fancy or expensive, just my 10 year old 14 inch 640x480 display driven by a cheap 4 MB PCI graphics card, both of which had spent years in the storage room. That's really best of both world - clickable radio stack und virtual cockpit without fixed window overlays.One last thing that greatly enhances my VC experience: the Saitek X45 joystick and thrust control system. This wonderful (and very reasonably priced) device has two rotary controls on the thrust control. I use the upper one, controlled by my left index finger, to pan around the cockpit. Much smoother and more controlled than looking around with the hat, and it has an indentation in the middle so you easily find back to the center view. Perfect! Btw, I use the second rotary for trimming, which is equally great.

Guest gasebah

I am watching this thread for a while now, and I am really wondering why nobody so far has mentioned trackIR in this respect.The whole real fun of the VCs only starts with trackIR. I never used the VCs as even the best payware planes have better 2Ds than VCs. However as soon as you have trackIR and can actually look left and right while taxiing and on short final simply by moving your head, and absolutely smooth the whole idea of a VC suddenly comes alive. The awareness factor takes an incredible jump. Start flying aerobatics with e.g. the SF260 and you know what I am talking about. Of course you can do it from outside the cockpit, but hey, it makes you feel like an RC pilot.Since I have trackIR I never use the 2Ds. I also refuse to fly any airplanes that do not have a top VC.Alex

Guest cliff

Ken what is an "active camera" I searched for it in HELP but found no mention.What does it do and where can I get it?Cliff

The biggest advantage of the VC IMO is that it finally gives you control over your view point. No more "jumpseat view" which is the standard with 2D panels. I can think of only a handful of 2D panels which actually have the artificial horizon centered where it should be. To get the VC to where it is truly functional for me has taken a fair bit of money and effort. I use 2 CPUs linked together, the primary CPU has three monitors - two of which display the 2D panels needed for most operations (radios, switches, etc). The main monitor is almost always in 3D VC mode and as most of you know from my rants and raves, I use TrackIR to be able to look around the VC and outside for situational awareness (critical!). For a long time I had to switch back and forth between VC and 2D to operate certain switches, but a Hagstrom Electric keyboard emulator now allows me to control nearly everything with an array of switches that I've added overtime. If anyone wants more info, just let me know.David

Guest dpc

2D = IFRIf you are a real pilot and use 2d panels to simulate and practice the approach pattern at your local airfield, you are probably developing some bad habits. If you just play the game for fun, then use whatever ever is most fun for you. Just remember, real pilots spend most of their time panning outside with quick glances at their instruments. An activity that is best simulated with VCs

I used to be a 2D man but after the release of the Archer,421 and the 260, I will never go back. You have to spend a little time in the VC.Shoot some landings, pattern work and just cruising around. Get used to it. Once you get the feel for it then going back to 2D just feels to damn limiting.IMO. Viva La VC!BobG