Sign in to follow this  
Guest moomox

ActiveSky - The Future

Hi Everyone,First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their wonderful support of the ActiveSky add-on.We seem to have gotten most of the bugs out with only some minor annoyances that will be fixed. As many of you may have noticed by the posts on this forum, we went from v1.0 with a few bugs and limited features to v1.3 stable with useful features in only a few days. I wouldn't have been able to do it without everyone's help so thank you very much! I think it is now safe to say that ActiveSky is a pretty complete and safe add-on and if anyone has not tried it yet, I invite you to please do so by downloading the latest (v1.3) here from AVSIM.Where is ActiveSky going from here? As you (hopefully) have guessed by now, it's only going to get bigger, better and more useful. I have a list of 45+ great features (many suggested by users - THANK YOU!) and I want to impliment them ALL and as many others as we can come up with. I've been a licensed pilot for over 10 years and had a fascination with weather since I can remember. I've been involved with flight simulation since the early days and have been a flight sim developer for 5+ years. I have ALWAYS wanted to do a full-featured weather environment add-on for flight simulation. There are so many great opportunities for really useful and exciting features here! Unfortunately, there was always something preventing me from doing it (school, work, other projects, etc.).That all changed when 2 months ago I started on ActiveSky, just a small part of the bigger weather simulation vision that I have been dreaming up for quite a few years now. By developing ActiveSky, I learned about FS add-on development and prepared the technical basis for the next step.So that is where ActiveSky is going... to the next step.. Which will be in the form of a new add-on with some really cool new features, and hopefully all of the features that have been suggested by users. This won't, however, merely be another weather add-on. It will be much more than that!In the next few weeks I will be putting together an Project: ActiveSky website (many thanks to AVSIM for offering to host this) where development news and in-development discussion forum will be available to find out the latest and make your suggestions to help shape the design.I'll probably be pretty quiet around the forums until the new website gets underway. Please feel free to send me an e-mail at portico55@yahoo.comThanks again everyone, and keep an eye out for the launch of the Project: ActiveSky website. Take care!-Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest nitram

Thank You for putting so much effort into this project and allowing other simmers to benefit. Thanks AgainRegards Nitram UK

Damian,You picked probably the most important and thus far neglected topic - the weather. I am so glad someone is getting serious about it. I hope you can join forces with Chris W. - you both work on different ends of the same thing.Michael J.

Guest moomox

Hey Damian! I should have sent this in the email I sent you the other day, but here goes. Would there be a way for to implement averages between stations? As an example if I fly between CYHZ and CYQM... part way through the flight, the altimeter setting often defaults to 29.91.even if I use the extend range option...it doesn't seem to always cover the complete distance...I'd like to see the software average out station pressures and cloud formations/winds between airports. Is there a possibility of this? Or am I just talkin' out of my BUTT? :-)BTW... again, you are doing a fantastic job on activesky...Later dude!