Sign in to follow this  

Do any addons exist to make thunderstorms more visually

Guest xoio

exciting?I remember FUIII... the thunderstorms in that were WILD. You would see the clouds light up from the lightning, & if you got caught, all hell would brake loose!!!!! The turbulence could rip a wing off!! & when close to a lighting bolt, the whole screen would light up!!!, The wind would be howling.. & the Thunder would get louder when you got closer!!!! etc etc...Do ANY enhancements exist for FS2002 to spice up thunderstorms ?? (I have the enhanced thunder sound files already, which are pretty good.) Buy I'm interested in the visual & wind effects!Can the clouds light up?? or the whole screen flash when closer to a bolt? Can programs like FSmeteo, or even just setting the weather sliders to the max deliver wild turbulance on the wild side??Or are thunderstorms in this sim wet dish clothes???Hope the answer is YES !! that thunderstorms CAN be vastly spiced up!!!!Fingers crossedAl.

Never seen sheet lightning addons. Hope it's included in FS2004.Peter Sydney Australia

I haven't seen any to compare to FUIII. Flight Unlimited has fantastic weather generation and lift effects!Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest xoio

Bump!!!Thanks for the comments :)Anyone else actually know of any visual weather enhancements for Thunderstorms in FS2002?? (See my original post regarding exactly what is hoped for).CheersAl

We can only hope for FS2004 that the weather model is a complete rewrite.

Eric 

AlChris and FSW will be releasing a vastly improved set of clouds including thunderstorm clouds.What you are talking about is weather dynamics. I very much hope that in FS2004 Microsoft will look at building a weather dynamics engine which makes the sky come alive instead of a dead pretty picture.Real world weather is the biggest challenge there is to the pilot and that challenge should be placed into the sim world too.Peter

My wife was returning from Atlanta, GA to Orlando, FL last night on AirTran. So I fired up FS2002, with my Airtran 717-200 and my KATL-KMCO flightplan. Download the weather and left the gate to fly to Orlando.During the flight, the weather deteriorated the closer I got to Orlando. A massive thunderstorm moved across Central Florida from about 1830-2000. She was suppose to land at 1920. I landed at approx. 1913, just before the next real weather update was available. The approach and landing was tough enough with the hour old weather. Lightening, wind shifts, visibility were terrible. I was able to land safely.At the first chance, I downloaded the new weather. It was horrible. While the real airport stopped takeoff/landings, FS2002 continued. I use AIVIEW and I clicked on various aircraft taking off and landing. It wasn't pretty. There was no horizon, just solid clouds, the only lights were the landing lights shining on the clouds in front of the AI aircraft. The runway didn't breakout until approx. 500ft.Periodically, I returned to my parked AirTran 717, in spot view. The lightening reflected off the aircraft and the thunder was pretty authentic coming from my speakers. I know because I had a reference point just outside my window.Around 2000, I started to hear aircraft finally taking off from KMCO (I live approx. 4m North and 1/2m West of 36L). The wife spent an hour circling Orlando before they were able to land. I downloaded the lastest weather at 2015, and was relieved to see it subsiding. My wife called at 2020 to let us know we could come pick her up.Needless to say, the airport was a zoo with all the aircraft now landing in bunches.All in all, I find the lightening and thunder quite good. The only weird occurance is rain, It is a point source and I think it is centered at the weather location. As the AI aircraft were lining up, I would see this small silver light in the distance. The closer the AI aircraft flew to the light it grew in size until it finally turned to rain.

Can you help me with a link to "AIVIEW"...can't seem to find it in the library.Bob B

Guest RiddlePilot

I flew into MCO last night too, pretty nasty. I'm thinking it was around the same time you landed. I heard the alerts on TV here in Daytona and decided to give it a shot.

So "THAT WAS YOU" taking your time getting off the runway and almost making me have to go around!!!:-lol