Sign in to follow this  

A346 with BUILT IN taxi cameras??? WOW!

Whew, just found this at airliners.net maybe you knew it b4 butI thought it extremly exciting. See [a href=http://www.airliners.net/open.file/235283/L" onmouseover="window.status='';return true]this[/a]. The flight crew may change the PFD (which are now LCD displays, no more CRTs, well but I thought they were always LCDs... *:-*) to a camera view which helps 'to stay on narrow taxiways'. Now what must this look like inflight, flying into a great sunset at FL370 with some clouds?!? :-hah Or during landing?? Whoa! Wanna see!!! :-hahSee ya,Etienne :-wave

WOW..NOW thats some great device i'll be looking forward to in a few years time flying these big jets.I bet they'll get a few people doing moonies infront of the cameras lol.Will

Guest Mark02

I went on holiday to Bangkok a couple of months ago on Emirates (the A330 to Dubai and then the B777 from Dubai to Bangkok) and all the passengers could view these camera views from there TV Screens!!!!They had a forward and a downward camera, which you could select. The large screens/TV's in the cabin showed the forward views anyway for the take-off and landing, which was really good, especially during the approach to Dubai at midnight!Mark

I just flew on emirates a few months ago. And those camera scenes were definetely a hit with all the passengers. I noticed most passengers preferred to watch the take-off/landing scenes rather than listen to music or anything else. I wish emirates would grow to include service all the way to the US (instead of having partnership with continental airlines - I nearly starved to death on continental airlines on a cross-atlantic flight).

The 777 has taxi/external cameras too, keeps the crew from putting the wheels in the "dirt" (....bad, very bad) since the distance between the mains and the nose is so long. Don't think it is available to the PAX though.American Airlines on the DC-10s ages ago had a camera mounted in the flightdeck over the Captain's shoulder so he could do puppet shows for the passengers when the flight was delayed. Actually I think it was on only during arrivals and departures when there was something to look at.....T

Oh, I really didn't know there are already aircraft (B777, A330 etc. like y'all said) having those cams!! I thought it was something new. But it's way cool, eh? :-hah Would really love to see it some day in the reality.Etienne :-wave

Looks like Active Camera made it's way into the real planes, too! :)

Flew on an Austrian Air A330 out of Washington to Vienna in June and the pilots had the camera turned on from taxi-out to engine shut down at VIE. They put a feed of take off on the main display in the passenger cabins and feed the rest of the flight through everyone's personal display. Kick $#%!...Kudos for Austrian Air.