Sign in to follow this  

An open letter to Tom and the Avsim staff

Congradulations, everyone shake hands, pat themselves on the back, tell themselves you did a good job.....at BLOWING one of the best resources in flightsimming! If you really want to enjoy this resource as it is now and in future, start thinking about things beyond the monitor your looking at right now. Bickering and malice like this is what killed Project Freeware a few years back and you can't say you didn't feel the effects of that.....somebody always wants something for nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Guest RonB49

Unless I missed a previous post, Charles, it seems to me that AVSIM was keeping it, "behind closed doors." Why then is AVSIM catching all of the heat, if in fact, Mike Stone was the first to air the linen in a public forum? The simple fact is that most of us are unaware of what prompted Mike's action and his post. R-

I'm sorry to hear about this Mike.Once or twice, Tom and I have disagreed on things. I felt he used words which were out of line, and responded with that theme. But in retrospect, I felt I overreacted. Tom's human. So am I--I could have used better words. You mentioned a bad heart, being under threat of layoffs, etc.... Many of us, including myself, fall into that category. Hell, I'm contemplating surgery that could leave me crippled, or could leave me pain free for the first time in months. That's life, and the way we react to things factors in such events sometimes.Avsim is a team--not just of those who host it, but of the members here. I am in 100 pct. support of you having your own site, and I 100 pct. agree that Tom or Avsim should not feel bad for the reasons you've given. But heck, we're all human. Imagine after a day of deleting threads, policing slamfests, and the like, you hear one of your best contributors is moving. Sometimes we react, make mistakes, say the wrong thing. And sometimes it's very hard to apologize when things settle down, especially when the issue is raised in public.I hope you keep a high presence here. I don't know if you caught something I said the other day in a thread related to wing views. I said some work justifies the absence of that, and yours certainly tops the list. I think your last half dozen releases all qualify as commercial quality, but that's just my opinion.Anyway, can't wait to see the new site, and I hope to see you in the forums as well, for the benefit of the Avsim team--which equals everyone of us!-John

I will really miss Mike and his huge contribution to the community. I also like AVSIM an awful lot and have made it my online home in the FS2002 world.The internet/e-mail seems to make it much easier for misunderstandings to crop up. I see it everywhere I go online.I hope everyone finds a way to make this amicable again.

Guest CharlesH

HiI fully agree with internet/email making it easier for misunderstandings to crop up. Its very inpersonal. My hope is indeed that everything is patched up so that it is amicable again, yes, that is my real hope. I don't want to point fingers, as that does nothing, nor am I blaming anyone. My greatest hope that that the matter is resolved and that there are no hard feelings between the parties. That is the best solution, however, that is not always possible. I support AVSIM and its staff and also all those people who make those planes, panels and scenery for all of us to enjoy. Charles

Guest CharlesH

I don't know the whole story behind what happened, and if I somehow put the blame on AVSIM, then that was not my intent, nor do I blame Mike either. My intent is for both parties to resolve the matter, that all. Charles Huckelbery

Hi,I've been at the other end of this.. I have my site hosted by flightsim sites until they tell me to move. First with simflight, now hosted by TecPilot and no doubt, if TecPilot needed me to go, I would consider asking AVSIM to host my site, and my site is almost 100MB already. I know what you mean about keeping a site updated.. it is ABSOLUTLEY hard work. I have another 20 to 30 sections to add to my site also.But you also have to consider that it is extremely gracious of a large web site like AVSIM etc.. to host us smaller guys. If they pulled the plug a little too fast or did it with protest, you can only imagine that it is human nature to react that way. Personally, I would consider it a compliment for AVSIM to be upset that you are leaving them and look at the experience in a positive way. It is obvious to me, that they value you, your work and your site very highly.Anyway.. good luck in your move.. I hate moving web sites.. just another huge pain and much work. One advantage of being hosted by a large flightsim site is bandwidth and speed and reliablity. I don't think I would be completely happy hosting my own.But one word of advice.. don't burn bridges.. it aint worth it when you reflect on this issue 3 to 6 months from now.Regards.. TrevVisit "The DC-3 Hangar"http://www.douglasdc3.comhttp://www.douglasdc3.com/1/dc3.jpg

Who cares who gets annoyed Mr. Stone, you make the best damn airplanes on this site, so pleaae be sure to advertise your new website address for everyone to read and visit, keep up the good work. andyky

Guest Edam

"When a friend offered to provide me a web site, design the pages, and maintain it for me, I jumped at the chance to relieve myself of some workload so I could concentrate more on my aircraft designs. Especially since some have complained recently that I've been slow to update my site."Like many others, I don't know all of the facts, but for the life of me I can't figure out why the above would cause a problem, especially the statement, "I jumped at the chance to relieve myself of some workload so I could concentrate more on my aircraft designs."Doesn't *everyone* benefit from that?

Guest eko

We obviously do not know exactly what was communicated in private (nor is it our business to know, really... unless the parties themselves wish to share the information), but on the surface, this seems to me to be a classic case of miscommunication.I could be wrong, but considering the parties involved, I can't really see it being anything else.

Mike:I am trying to write this response to your email and I keep erasing it because I am at a total loss of words as to why you seem to end up being the "whipping boy" for many when you give of your time, talents and resources freely. Now, this whole mess is absolutely none of my business and I will not venture to comment at all on it. I will only say that you will be sorely missed.None-the-less, I would like to comment, if I may, on Matt's "very annoyed post" that seems to have added fuel to this debacle. Matt. Yes, you, Tom and the rest of the crew keep the lights on here and we certainly appreciate it. However, make no mistake that Avsim is bigger than just you and your team. The heart of Avsim is its READERS and contributors. For without its readers and supporters, Avsim loses its intrinsic value. Please don't forget that your customers (loiterers) are the reason that Tom sees fit to keep the lights on.As such I fully understand that Avsim is not a democracy, so be it, I respect your rules. But, in the same token, does that mean that Avsim cannot be criticized? Does that mean that we all must walk on eggshells for fear of being blasted by the staff for only airing a question (that has been publicly posted)?I assumed that the policies of Avsim was to keep an orderly forum and website that should be respected as if we were in Tom's house and we all (most) try to abide by that rule (i.e. profanity, disrespect to others, etc). But does that also mean that the only valid opinion to be expressed comes from those who live in the house and stands without reproach and without question? If that IS the case, then I misunderstood and definitely stand corrected.Also, you shouldn't take offense about the comment about the "wraith of Tom". Tom A. has taken on the mystique of a father figure here. And while there certainly are "older brothers and sisters" lurking about, the true fear comes when "dad" comes up to your room with the belt in hand.Just my two cents as usual and not an affront to you.Can't we all get along? Lets all gather around for a group hug, hold hands, strip to our underware and sing KUMBAYA!Best regards,Mike T.

This is too funny.... AVSIM is the best Flight Simming Site around! Mike you sound like a crybaby, airing private greviances in public is just sad man!If Avsim pulled this post, I'd fully support it, in fact I've seen more than one of these posts from you lately, not sure what is wrong but you seem to be reaching out...Do you need some help Mike? Is everything alright. I know you aren't going anywhere, you've cried wolf too many times before.

I've been at the other end of this.. I have my site hosted by flightsim sites until they tell me to move. First with simflight, now hosted by TecPilot and no doubt, if TecPilot needed me to go, I would consider asking AVSIM to host my site, and my site is almost 100MB already.I'll host it if you need it ;-) No rules ;-)http://tooohip.com

My, aren't we the supportive one Mr. Michaels. Yep, I guess I'm just a crybaby. Sad man, just sad. But I don't need any help, certainly from the likes of you.As to crying wolf....Consider this a formal request of the Avsim staff to pull all files to which I possess copyright ownership from the library. Persmission to upload and use my files is hereby revoked.How's that grab ya....Mike Stone