Sign in to follow this  

An open letter to Tom and the Avsim staff

Mike:I am trying to write this response to your email and I keep erasing it because I am at a total loss of words as to why you seem to end up being the "whipping boy" for many when you give of your time, talents and resources freely. Now, this whole mess is absolutely none of my business and I will not venture to comment at all on it. I will only say that you will be sorely missed.None-the-less, I would like to comment, if I may, on Matt's "very annoyed post" that seems to have added fuel to this debacle. Matt. Yes, you, Tom and the rest of the crew keep the lights on here and we certainly appreciate it. However, make no mistake that Avsim is bigger than just you and your team. The heart of Avsim is its READERS and contributors. For without its readers and supporters, Avsim loses its intrinsic value. Please don't forget that your customers (loiterers) are the reason that Tom sees fit to keep the lights on.As such I fully understand that Avsim is not a democracy, so be it, I respect your rules. But, in the same token, does that mean that Avsim cannot be criticized? Does that mean that we all must walk on eggshells for fear of being blasted by the staff for only airing a question (that has been publicly posted)?I assumed that the policies of Avsim was to keep an orderly forum and website that should be respected as if we were in Tom's house and we all (most) try to abide by that rule (i.e. profanity, disrespect to others, etc). But does that also mean that the only valid opinion to be expressed comes from those who live in the house and stands without reproach and without question? If that IS the case, then I misunderstood and definitely stand corrected.Also, you shouldn't take offense about the comment about the "wraith of Tom". Tom A. has taken on the mystique of a father figure here. And while there certainly are "older brothers and sisters" lurking about, the true fear comes when "dad" comes up to your room with the belt in hand.Just my two cents as usual and not an affront to you.Can't we all get along? Lets all gather around for a group hug, hold hands, strip to our underware and sing KUMBAYA!Best regards,Mike T.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is too funny.... AVSIM is the best Flight Simming Site around! Mike you sound like a crybaby, airing private greviances in public is just sad man!If Avsim pulled this post, I'd fully support it, in fact I've seen more than one of these posts from you lately, not sure what is wrong but you seem to be reaching out...Do you need some help Mike? Is everything alright. I know you aren't going anywhere, you've cried wolf too many times before.

I've been at the other end of this.. I have my site hosted by flightsim sites until they tell me to move. First with simflight, now hosted by TecPilot and no doubt, if TecPilot needed me to go, I would consider asking AVSIM to host my site, and my site is almost 100MB already.I'll host it if you need it ;-) No rules ;-)http://tooohip.com

My, aren't we the supportive one Mr. Michaels. Yep, I guess I'm just a crybaby. Sad man, just sad. But I don't need any help, certainly from the likes of you.As to crying wolf....Consider this a formal request of the Avsim staff to pull all files to which I possess copyright ownership from the library. Persmission to upload and use my files is hereby revoked.How's that grab ya....Mike Stone

How's that grab ya....Doesn't surprise me at all Mike, actually I don't fly your planes anyway, not saying there not nice, just haven't used them ;-)As I said above, I knew you would be back ;-)))LOL

I'm about as impressed with this action, as when Steve Small and Ron Freimuth pulled their air.files. Take away from hundreds and perhaps thousands to get back at a few.. And then "screw" the hospitality of the web host's in the process.Since we all get uptight (as we did last week), sit back and think about it for a moment. How many times do we wish we can "edit" before too many read it first? I know I've done it enough times!L.Adamson

Jeez, Mike, slow down. You know all too well that these threads always spiral lavatorially, so where it's going is no surprise. But it's really not worth it. Thousands of people love your work, and you have a good reputation. I, for one, hope you'll keep it.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Mike, as I mentioned before, my idea is that you need turmoil, its just ur personality. This post is further evidence. I'd guess this is three times you've pulled ur files and gone home.Each time scads of folks beg you back, and you have a tearful homecoming. Soap Opera.Bob B

Yes, AVSIM is the best flight simming source out there. But to call names like "crybaby" should not be tolerated. Do you have act childish and call people names now? What's next? What ever happened to simple respect and professionalism? There are alot of people that bring problems up are they too be labled like this? This is not right. I fully support Mike Stone. Charles

Bob B:Your comments are quite harsh. What ever happened to simple kindness and respect? Soap Opera, I don't think so. Actually it quite sad. Sad indeed. Don't we have better things in this world to worry about then this sort of stuff. Actually, its childish. Charles

I just thought it might limit the amount of this sillyness if we recongized it for what it is....Certainly wouldn't think it soap opera if it wasn't a trend, consistent repetition. B

What does I fully support Mike Stone mean? Well, I admire him for all of this talent in making those fine planes that I enjoy very much. I support him in his effort to make sure that is copyright is protected. I support him as a human being. I respect him. Does this answer your question?Charles

Have watched this pathetic thread over the past few days.This hobby is on a downhill slide. Driven by egotistical delusions of grandeur due to an incredible amount of downloads by a majority who know not what they are downloading, or an incredible readership due to posts asking simple questions of the most basic nature or an opportunity to flame ..... two parties who see fit to hint at airing their dirty laundry in public, obviously with nothing better to do with their time but count the scores in their favour. Not quite there yet? So close yet so far? Not that far and all part of a trend.In amongst all this are (what sometimes appears to be) a minority, coming here for freeware items of which they are truely grateful and appreciative of. Combine this with forum participants, eager to help whilst wading through the one upmanship that others love to dish out behind the safety of their screen. Memories of forums gone by when we were appreciative just for the opportunity to mix with or help enthusiasts who share our hobby. Some call it the old school. I call it the good old days. The days when the likes of the Compuserve FS forum was full of people trying to help and encourage each other and mutual respect was the norm. Days when users were grateful for the forums and as grateful for the software, no matter how bad it may have appeared. Days when it cost us a fortune just to be online and it was more important to say thanks rather than score points.You can stick this continual "one-upmanship" where the sun dont shine kiddies because if many of you had not noticed this week there are more serious problems in the world! Some of you cried "foul" when the WTC got slammed but I see not one of you who so "proudly" wore your banners a year ago mention what is going on this week. Do you know? Do you give a damn? I doubt it. You are all too busy fighting each other before retiring to the safety of your beds! As I said this hobby is going downhill and so are the majority of players.All I can say is get a life ..... or at least respect others without trying to stoop to childish levels. This hobby is too important, or at least I used to think so.END RANT ...... REALLY P*SSED AT THE WAY THIS HOBBY IS GOING!

There was absolutely no need to post this "open letter" in the forums, Mike. I hope that you think about for a moment, how you would feel, if you were the AVSIM staff. I know that at least, if I were the AVSIM staff, I wouldn't really like this either. But your publicising this is just... inappropriate.As for pulling your files off AVSIM, yes, it will be a hit to them, however a much greater one it will be to you. It seems that you don't really like the people who "take, take and give back nothing", but I don't think most aircraft designers would ever have had such a thought...Although I tend to fly other aircraft made by larger groups of aircraft designers, your aircraft are quite high in quality considering that you are making them with your own individual efforts. I am sure you will keep many people happy with your talents if you do not shut yourself away.Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

There sure is a big difference between this and a soap opera. In a usual soap opera a new character will be introduced at least once every few month, because else they would become boring pretty fast.Alex

You have produced som very fine aircraft Mr. Stone (I have most of them), but for some reason I don't feel like flying them anymore...

Worth more than 2p's i feel :)I feel Avsim is a Great site and I really the enjoyment I have had from being a part of it .But My enthusiasm has been severily damaged by the few Idiotes that live in this site like Dominique ,gasebah, Ray, SamBob, mgdbottled JeffCole,Piper22 ,Fred Michaels, bob 5568 Who seem to enjoy making people feel small and really serve no perpose at all ,unlike People like mike stone who bring pleasure to thousands of people .I guess this is reflected all over Socieoty where a talanted person is hounded by the talentless who wish to get there Fame by bringing down the Star.Well it is a simple choise as I see it treat people nice and they are happy ,treat them bad and they leave .All will be left at this great site is people like I mentioned above and what a great place this will be then !Mike Stone Is a True Star for all he has done and if i never saw anybody again He is the one I would miss the most.You make them MIke and I will paint them .Seeya soon Anniette xxxxxxx

>I guess this is reflected all over Socieoty where a talanted >person is hounded by the talentless who wish to get there >Fame by bringing down the Star. >Mike Stone Is a True Star for all he has done Aniette,I tried to keep out of this dicussion, but now you are getting too pathetic! Nobody is star around here, and even if there would be stars around, should they be taboo for criticism?I think what ANZ121 wrote is not too far away from the truth:"Driven by egotistical delusions of grandeur due to an incredible amount of downloads by a majority who know not what they are downloading"What is critizesed by the posters is Mike's decission to go public, nothing else. Neither his aircraft, nor his decisseion to change the host of his site.I also criticized your going public, when somebody "stole" your - I think it was the PanAm - logo.I was educated to try solving my problems by myself in first instance. What Mike does and what you did is the behaviour of spoilt children and it reminds on my days at primary school, where their were kids who made things out with their mates and others who run to the teachers with every little problem (Ms, Ms, Peter has taken my pencil..!) I think I do not have to tell you which way I prefer.Now, you may say, we do not know what was going on between Mike and AVSIM behind the curtain. Yes, we do not know! But Mike went public first and therefore he has to stand the different opinions basing on the rather cryptic informations he provided.Wolfgang

Hey Wolfgang old buddy. I got a note overnight from Avsim asking me to reconsider pulling my files. I was sitting here this morning considering it. Then I browsed the thread and saw that you and the other vultures just couldn't wait to swoop in and pick at the carcass. I'm told that I should engage in adult discussion to settle my issues privately and in a mature manner. Then you say things lik "you are getting too pathetic", "egotistical delusions of grandeur" and "behavior of spoiled children". Examples of the mature dialog I'm supposed to engage in????Thank you my friend, you and the rest of the wolfpack have convinced me that I made the right decision.Well, I gotta go. I see another wave of vultures waiting there turn.Mike Stone

>But My enthusiasm has been severily damaged by the few >Idiotes that live in this site like Dominique ,gasebah, Ray, >SamBob, mgdbottled JeffCole,Piper22 ,Fred Michaels, bob 5568 >Who seem to enjoy making people feel small and really serve >no perpose at all ,unlike People like mike stone who bring >pleasure to thousands of people . So, you've just singled out a group of users here by name and labelled them in black and white as "idiots."That's totally offensive.Disagree with them, point out the flaws in their reasoning--but don't label them and question their motives.I don't know how many times the moderators have to say that name-calling and insults won't be tolerated, but apparently it has to be said one more time....