Sign in to follow this  

An open letter to Tom and the Avsim staff

>Wonder why certain folks seem to be regularly getting their >feelings hurt or embroiled in some form of controversy...and >others never do. >>worth a thought, no? Could it have something to do with the fact that Mike works so fast and releases his great planes so often. I mean all we designers get some dirt throwed on us from some certain people. Every design gets nit-picked on some level by the "experts" who think they know everything about planes. Is it just that Mike releases new planes so often that it starts to feel like he is the onlyone whose work gets beaten up?Try to bear with it Mike. Your work is highly appreciated!!

Do you see it happening, here is the next chapter of the story. He's maintaining this period of indecision. Its the soap opera chapter that extends the suspense.

Guest CharlesH

Hi All:I have also asked for it to be locked and/or deleted. It does no one any good for it to remain the way it is. Too much has been said, some of it very hurtful. Let's move on and now and allow things to work out. Charles

The Avsim Forums have become virtual clotheslines, to air out dirty laundry.This kind of stuff is becoming way too common.In the past few months, we have seen "resignation" letters from a many people. Resigning from a hobby! I can't grasp this.I am not talented in the arts of aircraft design, painting, or add-on creation, so I don't have much to offer the community.But these forums have been the source of many exciting announcements on great freeware projects such as Active Camera, Active Sky, Speech Recognition software, and of course, wonderful work by talented artists, who work for free.HOWEVER, please understand that having such a thin skin is dangerous in this particular type of environment. I'm sorry to say this, but issuing this type of "resignation" letter in a public forum as popular as this seems inappropriate, and exudes an air of needing attention. We have a problem with someone involved with our hobby? e-mail is still a great way to communicate. It keeps things private. Differences are discussed by e-mail, a solution is worked out, and then, an announcement of the new website on the forums!As a simmer who enjoys all of the work many talented persons do, I just want to make my feelings clear.Keep these things private!Best Regards to all.Redrock

you enjoy adjulation more than discussion...and I can see it would be tough to even experience discussion when you label people you disagree with. again, you strike me as VERY young...kind of innocent, enjoying your general role as fragile, but loyal and alluring friend to the superstars...

the reason is that this is Mikes third "tearful" goodby, which as before been followed by adjulating begging by groupies to have him stay, and then a begrudging decision on his part to stay...and the game repeats and repeats and repeats.....time to call the game what it is.B

Been away for a bit and just ' stumbled' onto this one.I was aware of the email exchange between Tom and Mike that triggered Mike's initial post here. Well, actually, it should not have triggered anything IMHO.But I agree with the people here saying that this is a waste of time, bandwidth, energy and what not.Let's get on with the hobby, it's almost weekend..... time for some flying ;-)________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest Paul_W

>it's NEVER going to be a "business-like" exchange -- that's >a clear misunderstanding of the nature of all internet >forums. Greetings. Actually quite a few threads I've read here have indeed been courteous, business-like and informative, and it's really not that hard to attain that level of communication or to aspire to it. That's one of the reasons I come here--and I would have to give the place due credit for probably having the highest general standard of discourse of any of the forums I've been to. There's nothing quite like a darn good discussion and possibly debate to get the mind focused, engaged and excited. At its best you'll contribute something and learn something in the process. But it only takes one heckler to wreck a good meeting (and I mean that generally; I'm not referring to this thread).In terms of an understanding of Internet forums, let me just comment that the dregs of the form appear to be those public "alt" forums where nasty language and name-calling are the norm. Not much to be gained from visiting those I would think. I've seen incredibly dysfunctional language in places like the CNET review forums--not bad language per se, but people who don't have the foggiest clue how to write. The point of this is that Internet forums range from the very low end, up to something approaching the best conversations I've seen here, along with Flighsim at times. So I set Avsim apart, and give its staff due credit for maintaining certain standards, which could certainly be described as business-like, and most of the time that's the way the place can be found. And that's a simple thing to understand, and an altogether plausible standard.