Sign in to follow this  

About the recent negative threads

I wanted to post my opinion on why we are seeing such negative posts lately, and in the past as well. First off, I dont know the exact number, but Im sure that the average age of an Avsim member which posts on the forums is pretty young. Secondly, we all know that the internet provides anonymity and forums are especially prone to conversations that would never happen in a public place. Next, it seems as though alot of people (including me) are quite a bit impatient for new developments in scenery and aircraft, after all, we are a society of "gotta have it now" and for the most part, the internet and broadband connections feed this desire.I know that every once in a while Tom has to come around with his golden axe and chop a few heads off before everyone will settle down and act like civilized human beings, at least for a while. And here we are again, about to feel the wrath of Tom Allensworth (believe me, I dont even know Tom, and I know its coming). Im sure that if we, as a forum community at Avsim, can not bring some of the emotions under control, that Tom will shut these forums down. I dont want that to happen, and I know most of the rest of you dont want that to happen. We all get a wealth of information from these forums every day. We dont pay (forcefully) a dime to use up Avsim's resources, and some of us really have the audacity to make their jobs harder by having to police the forums on an almost 'round the clock basis.I already know that some of you won't agree, and that this post could be interpreted as flame bait, but I just ask you to remind yourself (I even have to remind myself sometimes), that these forums are a privilege and they can, and just might, be removed at any time. I know that I have not always been perfect around here, and I know the majority of you have not either, so lets try to keep the complaining and whining out of the forums and treat freeware designers exactly what they are....a dying breed.Craig

I think a lot of people are getting edgy waiting for releases. Look at what's due out in the near future:Airports 2002A320 PICCaptainSim 727MS Combat Flight Sim 3Forgotten Battle for IL2 SturmovikReady for PushbackPSS Dash 8I've probably forgotten some, and some of the release dates have been pushed back.I am pacing the floor waiting on Legendary 727 that I have on preorder. Not an excuse to be negative against anyone for sure.Just my two cents. (Forgive me for simply reinterating some of what you stated above)Thaellar

Greetings,Flight simmers getting edgy waiting for releases? Now that sounds like what they call high quality problems. That's not a valid excuse for some of the infantile behavior you read here at times. I don't post much here, but I do read a lot of the posts.Some of the posts you read here reminds me of the Jerry Springer Show. From what I've read here, it is usually the same small group of people who engage in this behavior. If I were the administrator for this forum, I'd be deleting posts left and right. If this type of behavior is tolerated, it will flourish as it does here.Where's all the "let's all get along and love each other" warm and fuzzy feeling that the country was so awash in just after 9/11?Just my opinion,Hans Groenewold

Guest SoarPics

Me thinks Avsim should consider including Craig's post in the Terms of Use.Thanks Craig... it's always nice to experience a reasoned and intelligent perspective.

Guest Toni Rauch

I totally agree with Craig's comments but would like to add this perspective to the arena:Although this has been thrashed out here before, I believe that most of the problem posts would never appear if everyone stopped 'hiding' behind aliases and was forced to use their own (traceable) real identity.Clearly not in 'the same league', but it strikes me how tragically easy it is to attack people in the most cowardly way when you're effectively 'invisible', as that lunatic in Washington is demonstrating with devastating results.....You have to use your real name pretty much everywhere else - why not here? Toni.

I don't post much here either, but the real solution to all the negative threads is to not reply to them! If you ignore it, it will go away eventually.I've been around FS since long before there ever was an AVSIM or even any type of online "Community" for FS. I watch this forum continuously and just refuse to get in on the negative threads. I just ignore them.If they are particularly nasty, they will be removed.Let's stop complaining about the negative threads and enjoy those that are informative and/or funny.We should all spend more time enjoying the well thought out threads and answering the posts of those with legitimate questions/problems. Even if a question was asked before, it doesn't hurt to answer it again, or at least point out the post that already answered it.replies with stupid statements such as "it was answered before, do a search" are pretty lame - this is an extremely large forum and many posts get lost or have poorly descriptive headers. If all you can post a message telling someone to do a search, why post at all.I say, if you don't have an answer (polite), don't post.Funny, but all of this has been said before in many different terms and still we end up with questions/statements like the one that started this thread.No reflection on CraigC - Well written post, just a waste trying to reach the indiviuals this thread was aimed at.

Guest emergency_pants

Well... I expect I've been guilty of posting 'infantile' posts, on various forums in the past... even in a forum, it's possible to say something regrettable or uninformed from time to time.On the other hand, it's good to see people's opinions. It annoys me a little bit that sometimes, if the general concensus is that a post is very 'wrong' (care to define that for me? ;)) the person gets flamed or told that a post is infantile or ridiculous.Opinions are opinions, in my opinion :) It's good to see them and the world would be a very sterile place without them. Good or bad, right or wrong. If a person has a 'young' or 'uneducated' vision/opinion of something, in your eyes, (you might want to call it infantile, but that can be construed as derogatory), how about putting them straight in an informative way, without being patronizing? That's the kind thing to do.I do agree that the forum administrators do a great job. And I also agree that freeware creators should be given a little more respect. We do live in an impatient world, more's-the-pity. Some threads are really quite entertaining though!! heheh.Thanks all :)Simon.

Thanks Greyfox, that's usually my response on how to handle this situation. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guest jaapverduijn

Toni:A soundly reverberating "Amen!" to that.Jaap Verduijn.

Craig,You original post could easily be construed as a "negative one" too. There is a thin line between being negative and having ligitimate difference of opinion. Actually I have seen very few really bad "negative" posts that crossed this fine line lately. I am sorry but I consider your post a useless one.Michael J.

Michael,This is exactly the kind of post that you shouldn't even have bothered with. If you considered it useless, why bother?Read my post above regarding this whole issue.

Greyfox, OTOH, sometimes reading some of the flame wars provides comic relief in an otherwise stressful day. Its sort of like watching somebody else's children screwing up. :)

:-lol :-lol :-lolThat's probably the best way to look at it!?