Sign in to follow this  

FLYING OUT OF FUEL

If you're in a propeller plane, lean the mixture....fuel will last longer, and you get better performance at higher altitudes!

>What can I do to save fuel? Would be better if what can you do to don

It may drop like a rock, or it might be possible to glide into an airport and land, depends on the pilots' abilities.......In 1984, an Air Canada 767 on a flight from Montreal to Edmonton, ran out of fuel quite some distance away from Winnipeg. The captain of that flight just happened to be an experienced sailplaner, and was able to glide that 767 into Gimli, Manitoba, which is about 40 miles north of Winnipeg, and safely land the aircraft almost without incident (the nose gear apparently did not lock in place, so it collapsed on landing). It's not impossible, it's probably just very very difficult :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Well the B747 can glide for quite sometime too!

>Not to stick up for the little guy or nothing....but.... >>didn't that Canadian Charter company GLIDE a large jet (330 >i think) from cruise to the azores last year? >>of course i think it was pilot error, i.e. make sure you >have enough fuel - it is the stupidest way to kill yourself. It wasn't a pilot error, it was an equipement failure. I can't remember exactly what happened, but the pilots did fly from cruise level to a rather hard but safe landing with no power.

As Chairman Kaga would say, "If memory serves me correctly..."The Airbus of Canadian registry which had the engines out landing ran out of fuel and managed to control descent from flight level to a nice landing at either Tenerife or Lajes. There was a leak in one of the wing tanks and the computer did exactly what it was meant to do... It fed fuel from the other wing to maintain balance.Either the Captain or FO took a look down and said something along the lines of "My, but it appears that we're a bit low on fuel" and the crew managed some heroics. Again, if memory serves, that aircraft managed to limp in the neighborhood of 100 nautical miles in that shape and averted a catastrophe.