Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Why no FS2002 patch?

Anyone know the reason as to why MS has no plans for an FS2002 patch (http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02Readback12.asp)?For FS2000 they released not one, but two.Heaven knows that FS2002 is far from being bug-free, with the infamous glide-slope capture problem and the various ATC bugs in which Center, App, and Dep are incorrectly identified.GS

I see you're a fairly new arrival, so you don't know of the prohibition against discussing the subject. Hopefully folks will go easy on you. The subject was banned becaused people failed to agree to "disagree", and patch discussions more often than not turned into sessions debunking the skills, knowledge, and character of those on either side of the fence.For what it's worth, FS2002 has been out long enough that I'd go out on a limb and say that, without a patch, it is a fine program and source of entertainment. Could it be patched? Sure, I guess--multiplayer is still messed up. But things which seemed like issues have been addressed through the knowledge shared in this forum. And new features, like ATC, I don't hold Microsoft accountable for having "perfect" on the first try.I believe Microsoft would have patched FS2002 had the market demanded it, in spite of their words otherwise. But I'd say the majority of the folks here don't demand one....they know what I know, and that is this is probably the best FS ever to get released, with whatever issues that may exist. I don't know whether I'll get FS2004, as I'm not sure whether I can be any more satisfied than I am now. Maybe for improvements in weather, but that's about it for me. I have a lowly P3/800, and FS2002 makes it seem like a P4! For me, the glass is half full....Anyway, that's my senseless two cents... And welcome!-John

Not 'senseless' at all , John. Put simply your comments are perfectly measured, sane, sensible and accurate.Mike :-wave

"What makes you say they are new..."You're right...it's an assumption on my part, and I could be wrong. I looked at the "member since" date and the number of posts. And I was just trying to defuse a situation that usually explodes every time it surfaces.

I fully agree. ATC is not perfect but you can live with it and you can totally replace it with RC. Some Nav data is faulty but it is hard to lay blame at Microsoft. The only serious singular bug I am aware of is the GS capture problem since it affects most add-on aircraft too (we certainly have lower expectations for the stock FS2002 aircraft). PIC767 found a way around this GS problem but others I guess did not try hard enough.Michael J.

Here, here John:I can't imagine any reason to purchase FS2004 (next year) since I am extremely pleased with FS2002 as it is. And as far as the glideslope problems, they are easily fixed by multiple third party tools available for free on this site and others.As far as I see it, the ONLY way I'd buy FS2004 would be if:1) Volumetric clouds and more realistic atmospherics.2) Included hi-fidelity panels of PIC and DF2000 quality (737NG?).3) Highly accurate ATC revamp.Other than that FS2002 is the best release of MSFS to date and while it is not 100% free of errors, the MS team got it right this time. A patch, while nice, is simply not necessary in the vast majority of cases.Mike T.

Hi Mike, "1) Volumetric clouds and more realistic atmospherics.2) Included hi-fidelity panels of PIC and DF2000 quality (737NG?).3) Highly accurate ATC revamp."Already made Volumetric clouds and more realistic atmospherics.Atc will indeed be improved.Fs2002 will look old with the graphics engine compare to fs2004 graphics, sky, clouds, better graphics, I always can't use previous Msfs, fs95, fs98, fs2000 all graphics looks old generation. I expect the same thing with fs2002 when fs2004 will came out.The time for fs2004 CPU speed will be indeed capable to have accurate 3d clouds and better terrain engine.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest brewmaster

"And as far as the glideslope problems, they are easily fixed by multiple third party tools available for free on this site and others."What are these tools you speak of? I have never seen a fix for the GS problem other than using planes/panels that dont use the default autopilot. A fix sure would ease the ongoing tension/bickering in the dreamfleet forums since this is a problem with their product.Brewmaster

Guest flightpro08

M$ actually is going to release a patch for FS2k2. From what I hear, it's going to be called FS2k4. ;-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298