Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Is there a Palm Beach International frame rate fix?

Hello.Months ago people were reporting massive fps drops near KPBI at night but I haven't seen any reports recently. Is there a fix available? ------besides flying during the day :-) Sean

:-hmmm Yes, no kidding. I landed there yesterday afternoon with framerates of 15 to 17 (Normal for me at most airports) and when I tried to fly out that evening it was down to 3!!! Once I got out of the airport vicinity, everything was normal. Bermuda Triangle effect maybe? If anyone has some clues, I'd sure like to know as well!!!Vonat:-hmmm

No answer here, but just to add...I have noticed this too. Not just at KPBI either. All around that general area there is a massive FPS drop. I thought it was just from alot of AI traffic, but I don't know anymore :-hmmm

Guest RonB49

I can't answer your question, Sean, but I have one of my own. The same thing happened to me (about 3-4 FPS) as I landed at KABE (Allentown PA). I tried it again and it happened again. Now that's not in the Burmuda Triangle. R-

you didn't receive the NOTAM? KPBI has a noise abate from dusk til dawn in effect until FS2K4. :-lol Kilstorm

Guest Niels_C

Hi there all!I haven't been to either of those airports for a while, but couldit be the same problem that plagues the Paris, France region?It is dealt with by Peter Dowsons FSUIPC (or something ;)), Iwonder if it would do the same. The triggers appear to be thecombination of weather and AI traffic, the heavier (Quantitatively,not sizewise ;)) the worse.If that won't work, perhaps a few dozens of MB's download will.Just my two Eurocents worth,-Niels Christiansen

In the case of KPBI, it's a different issue from the one in France. There's something about the nighttime scenery, and it seems to kick in when taxiway lights are activated, so it also kicks in if you lower vis. to 1 mile or less in the daytime. The only way to know for sure would be to exclude the entire airport and build a new one from scratch, or to lower scenery density to minimum while flying out at night. If one can selectively exclude just the taxiways, I believe we might know if those are the critters giving KPBI it's troubles...

Thank you everyone for the replies. It's interesting that the slow down occurs in a reletively sparse area while New York and LA display smoothly. I too think it has something to do with the runway lights, but I'm kind of partial to the "noise abatement" theory a couple of posts back. And consequently I am now very wary about buzzing the Microsoft campus! :-)Sean

Guest Captain Barfbag

Well, I'm glad it wasn't something I did to myself. I too was noticing 2-3 FPS at KPBI, so I started playing and varying one thing at a time. The frame rate goes back into the 20's the instant the lights go out, about 7:51 AM local today (Oct 23.) The effect goes away if you drop your scenery density below "normal" to "sparse" or below. I turned off all the AI aircraft and it made no difference. There doesn't seem to be any direction-of-view effect. I slewed up and found the frame rate jumped back up at around 2550 feet. I went to nearby Miami (thinking maybe it was the seashore condos) but that's just fine.

I had an annoying framerate drop (20 to 3 or 4) over the English Channel with the DF737-400 tutorial from Amsterdam to Heathrow. As I approach the English coast I'm back to 20 fps. :-hmmm

Guest Captain Barfbag

I used Airport 2.6-something to enter an Exclude box. When I put it close to the intersection of 13/31 and 9/27 I managed to make the frame rate problem go away. Unfortunately, it also made ALL the taxiways go away, day an night. So, it looks like the problem is with taxiway lighting. Anyone feel like re-doing all the PBI taxiways?