Sign in to follow this  

Now FS2002 really rocks on the P4 !!!!!!

After eternal tweaking with the Ti-4600 card and the monitors, I finally got fed up and left everything on the P4, 2.53Ghz. I thought I'd set zero FSAA, VERY DENSE scenery and autogen, and one or two other reduced settings. I ran FS2002 and ever since then it ran superbly with all add-ons. It ran the demanding POSKY, HJG, and PSS a/c at great frames, and the gauges and views all ran without a shudder at every angle at any phase in ther flight and over any scenery.So, you can imagine my surprise when I opened up the settings recently to discover FSAA set at 2x, EXTREMELY DENSE scenery and autogen, and 88% terrain mesh, and fps cap of 25!I have had this theory about PCs for some time: they learn. They learn routines. As they learn, they become more efficient and run better. This has happened with my new P4 just as seems to have happened on my older P3 which runs FS2002 superbly albeit with lower settings. Initially, I thought I was a bit disappointed with the P4 and that it would not run that brilliantly. With endless tweaking and re-setting (and liberal crashing of Windows XP, FS2002, and other bits and pieces) over about 3 weeks, I just got burned out and frustrated. So I left all the settings and said that's it, I am done with this nonsense. Let FS2002 run as it is.And now, this is the reward. FS2002 smoother than ever and pretty much fully maxed out. I just added the AFG HUD to the fleet and sheesh, it works brilliantly with nary a tax on frames.The one thing I will steer clear of is heavy scenery add-ons. I shall probably get Simflyers KIAD and maybe EDDF as well, but I think that's it. Scenery add-ons still knacker frames.JS

I agree! I have a Ti-4200. No fiddling etc. I have all sliders maxed out, including ATC with My Traffic. There are probably areas where she'll struggle, but I haven't noticed less than 20fps including in and out of cloud as well as all the usuals PIC, PSS, DF etcAs you say, give up the tweaking and just let it roll! Best thing I ever did was invest in the P4 2.53 and the Ti 4200.Dave

Guest abent

Can you guys give me a little more data on your systems please?I have been looking at a couple of systems based on the 2.53 P4 processor. However, one has an Intel board and the other, the salesperson cannot tell me what the board is and can't give any stats on it. It seems that also both boards use DDR SDRAM. I'm hesitant to go ahead with these. They are both from large chain stores and I can't really tell how decent the rest of the system is - or how upgradeable they are. Neither comes with a good video card, but I've been thinking about a GeForce4 4200 or 4600 or an ATI 9700.Any and all advice would be really appreciated.Thanks, Adam :-)

JS>I have had this theory about PCs for some time: they learn. They >learn routines. As they learn, they become more efficient and run >better. Yes I also think so. When I bought my P4 1400 more than a tear ago, I was unable get my Sidewinder 3D pro joystick to work. It was simply not responding. I had installed it properly with the supplied diskette and even downloaded the latest drivers. The computer would not even recognize it. But in my older computer, no problems the Joystick worked fine. I checked the Sidewinder web site and Intel site for any fixes and nothing seem to work. So I after some tweaking experimenting found that I was able to use as a 3-axis joystick but not as a Sidewinder Pro. So I had some consolation I was able to at least use it as an ordinary joystick even though not as the Sidewinder 3d pro. Then after few days may be a couple of weeks I tried again to get the computer recognize my Joystick as a Sidewinder 3d Pro. What a surprise it did. I did not do anything and merely gave up and tried again just to check expecting no surprises and it worked!Shri.

.....and they remember too... so next time you try to give it more Voltage just look straight in the eye of little silicon square... and it will remember, it will indeed :-grr ....Behold.... as they are coming....Happy Halloween :-wink2

Yeah, but whats most important is to learn to resist the urge to tweak. Experienced sysadmins think and plan first (and keep logs!) before they modify anything on their systems. And they do it only when the neeed arises. Okay, this is a game and something different, and its a non-critical system, but I also think its good to learn to not get obessed with the nitty-gritty tuning stuff and jusrt be content...So I am really happy for ya :)cu,celticmatrix

Adam:I have a stock factory DELL 2.53Ghz with 512 Rambus RAM (I think PC 533Mhz), Ti-4600, surround sound speakers, and a 19" black DELL TRINITRON. I bought the set online 4-6 weeks ago. I changed the video drivers to nVidia 30.82 and they are rock stable and perform well. I love this PC.I also love Windows XP (so far!)JS

I love FS on my P4 also & GF4 Ti4600 too!. I run 4x AA, 8x Ansio, 1600x1200 @ 32bit, looks awesome! I couldn't be happier.I only wish my Radeon 9700 performed as I had hoped, but she is gone now. Might look at another around xmas when the price has dropped and newer drivers are out.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Steve_Park

You guys are making my mouth water....Fedex should be here tomorrow with my upgrade.Giga Byte GA8PE667 Ultra MoboP4B 2.8512 Meg DDR 3200Asus 8460 TI4600Aspire 420W Case W/4 Case Fans+2PS FansHope to get at least 10 FPS taxing around Simflyers KDFW and KLAX.SteveKSDF

Don't buy a P4 with DDR SDRAM! You get get a significant performance hit with DDR SDRAM with a P4. Get the Rambus type 1066!

Hi Steve,Great system you are ordering! Please tell us how it performs when you get it. Let us know of any weaknesses or situations when framerates are low (if any).Thanks,Robbie

Guest abent

Thanks for the responses guys! I thought the SDRAm might be a drawback. I don't know much about Intel boards , or any boards for that matter. I just never hear of anyone intentionally going for an Intel board - rather ASUS, Gigabyte etc.Adam

Adam - The reason some folks opt for the Intel board is stability. There is no system more stable than an Intel CPU plugged into an Intel motherboard (which, of course, uses an Intel chip set). The downside is that no Intel motherboard will allow you to overclock the CPU.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57040.71's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13223http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4569591