Sign in to follow this  
Guest rana

Trojan Horse?????

I would just like to say how dissapointed I am the AVSIM in publishing the article concerning the release of Squakwin. To call it a Trojan Horse is completely over the top by the VATSIM gurus and I am suprised and as I said very disappointed that you jumped onto the VATSIM battle wagon. What ever happened to freedom of choice???.I presume those at VATSIM expect us to wait until 2006 before SB3 arrives while thier little empire crumbles under the weight of red tape.I would be nice if in the future you could stop and look at the whole picture before publishing such articles and helping VATSIM to maintain thier stranglehold over users.RegardsTony DeMonte

Guest Ken_Salter

The software in question sends username/password information back to a central server without the users' knowledge.For a definition of "Trojan Horse":http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...ne:Trojan+HorseThe first definition fits the bill:"An apparently useful and innocent program containing additional hidden code which allows the unauthorized collection, exploitation, falsification, or destruction of data. "You can still download and use the software...at your own risk. At least the knowledge of what the software is doing is now public domain. Once you have knowledge, then you have REAL Freedom of Choice.

Guest Matt Johnson

I recommend you re-examine the byline, and note that only one of the authors of the report is directly related to VATSIM.

Guest babua

Sirs,It was a case of unwarranted sensationalism to term it as a torjan horse. Even if one considers the definition of trojan horse, which you have taken support of, collection alone is not a sufficient condition. Collection, exploitation, destruction or falsification are other necessary conditions. Other definitions will ofcourse make it clear that "destruction" "malicious intent" are other key operative words to define trojan horse. The squqakwin team did none of that and promptly, when notified ( they might not have admitted it) changed the program.Why am I hurt? Simple, avsim has in them to actually comment with lot of authority and knowledge that as a pilot client and software untility in general, it a very well written code ( simple UI, advanced features, small size) They did not do that neither did they give the benefit of the doubt to the developers. To me it looked like way too hurried "press release" more like a competitors counter to a new product launched by a rival.It would really be nice if avsim now publishes an article on it to cover its other features and gives a balanced view.This is a hobby and quality controls are not always at the professional level and mistakes are more but mistakes alone does not make malicious intent. The community needs a good pilot cleints.

Guest Ken_Salter

"Collection, exploitation, destruction or falsification"The use of the word "or" means that you do not need all conditions to apply. Collection is enough (when the user is not aware).

Guest rana

"Collection, exploitation, destruction or falsification"well if I understand right, every trojan horse starts with collection.. once the team has the username + password, how can you be sure that they will not use that information for exploitation (changing your settings), destruction (removed some data) or falsification (the moment someone else logs in with your username and password)..Its a Trojan horse - as a Freeware author, I also have a check for newer versions.. and one thing for certain, you can do a version check without even sending any data (like my software - I read the latest version information from the server, and compare it).. at most you may want to send the version number, but why would you want to know the username and password the user is using. I wouldn't be happy if I knew that my FTP Voyager is sending all my confidential passwords to the authors. One must have malicious intention to do such a thing - and then saying "we are sorry, but you guys are over-reacting... we will remove this check" seems to me is saying sorry once getting caught.I personally would never trust a company that I know has a record as such - even if it is the best thing since slice bread.