Sign in to follow this  

Something funny about ActiveSky 2002

Thats a bit drastic isn't it?!?Most likley you encountered a rogue METAR. Did you try refreshing the METAR & clear all weather in FS? Active Sky is indeed an excellent program, one that I'm not gonna give up on THAT easy.

See it as an learning expirience, climb away, and figure out what was wrong.. divert, and land elsewhere.. that will keep you busy.I think the program is very nice, and got some corrupted metars loaded.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----[A HREF=http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd]Unofficial PSS Website[/A]

Hi guys,First, verify that you have the latest 1.4 version. Earlier versions had a problem with unrealistically high wind speeds at upper altitudes.However, there is also some semi-complex processing going on for winds aloft simulation, which adjusts the windspeed based on many factors, some of them random. Occasionally 120KTS may be experienced, realistically, especially if there is jet stream activity (ActiveSky attempts to identify these conditions). 370000 ft is up in the troposphere range where Jet Stream activity can occur. As to why the wind speed stayed high throughout landing, this is probably because you were flying in mountainous terrain with a metar reporting station with a high elevation.. you never got down to surface altitudes (according to the station elevation) so the wind did not slow. This is just a theory.I will continue investigation of this and the Winds Aloft simulation will continue to get better with more realistic wind speeds and wind directions. Thanks for everyone's input!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I'm not giving it up on activesky. A excellent program by an excellent author! Let's hope we can see winds aloft outside US :). By the way Damian, I get corrupted METARS at Mumbai, you might want to have a look at it. :)Take care!

While we're on the subject of corrupted Metars, I found I had to bring some thick clothing going to Montreal and Washington recently - according to ActiveSky, it was -41 degrees...Otherwise, an excellent program - keep up the good work.Cheers,Gosta.

Hi, I just verified that this problem was attributed to v1.1 and prior versions only. 1.2 fixed it. The person having the problem, who has 'given up' on ActiveSky.... Why did you not check to see if there was a later version, or at least get some input from others? Yes, the problem has been fixed. I don't know if you were intentionally trying to be rude, and if not, sorry for misunderstanding.This is not directed at you, but everyone:Occasionally I see some VERY negative posts on this board and unfortunately the only motive behind it seems to 'derail' development. Why? I mean, it doesn't hurt my feelings, I realize every bunch has some jerks (I've been in this community for a few years and I know how bad it can get!), but do you guys realize that in the long run you are only hurting YOUR hobby? I see it time and again, people trashing on FREEWARE developers, the guys who are putting pressure on all (incl. Commercial) developers to raise the bar. I also see many freeware developers not get the credit they deserve, and get their feelings hurt easy (it is easy to get emotional about something you put A LOT of work in) and then end up QUITTING all together. Great job people! Hope that makes you proud.What I see is this: The freeware developer cannot win. He/she will get attacked from every angle and will never get the satisfaction that they seek (which is very unique to freeware developers, they are in it for reasons that many cannot understand). This will drive most to quit or go commercial. I for one won't quit, but it is beginning to seem more and more like the only option for continued development is commercial. If I'm gonna be critized for my software and compared to commercial competitors, then I want to be on an equal playing field.Sorry for the rant, just something I had to get off my chest. For now continued development of ActiveSky remains FREEWARE.-Damian

Damian Clark

Damian,The original post was simply by someone who was not only very poorly informed but also lacked tact. This happens quite often on these forums. But I suspect most here admire your work and you diligence in bug-solving. Please do not get distracted by occasional ignorance and stupidity.Michael J.

Hi DamianAs one who has installed each version of your excellent program, I can only say THANK YOU.I cannot understand why there is so much slanging at freeware developers. I came into FS2002 from CFS1, where the whole concept was based on freeware and sharing. I am horrified at the very commercial aspect of FS2002, but remain thankful to you Damian and other developers who create programs simply for the love of FS and the chance to put something into a really enjoyable simulation.CheersMike

Guest PhilipManwaring

Damian,I've watched the development of ActiveSky over the last several weeks and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate not only this tool but the way you've always been so quick to respond to questions, bug reports, or (mostly constructive) criticism. Your program is so much better for the way in which you've been open to responding to these things. Software is so complex that nothing is ever perfect - it's just a fact of life. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take ActiveSky over the next months and possibly years. One thing I know is that your responsiveness to comments on this board has rapidly turned it into one of the more popular addons in this hobby. Congrats and keep it up.Gratefully,Philip.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.My 'rant' was really misplaced, more to do with my displeasure of the way things are for add-on developers (brought on by quite a few recent events here on the AVSIM forums) than with ActiveSky. I really do appreciate all comments, input, suggestions, criticism, flames, whatever.. I can handle the bad with the good as is always the case ;) Your input, good or bad, is what focuses the direction of my work. Which is definitely a good thing. But, I still don't appreciate when folks just get on up and start trying to make a product look bad to others, comparing freeware to commercial, and the like (this thread is only one very small example). I understand that they may be frustrated with a certain product, and maybe they just don't like it, but it just isn't right to discourage the freeware developers out there in any way! Less developers = less competition = less technology = less quality. For all products, freeware and commercial. I wouldn't even mention this if it wasn't for all the flaming and feelings hurt and quitting going on around here! Come together people!! :)THANKS TO ALL who so kindly support me and their other favorite developers - freeware and commercial... it is your support that drives us. -Damian Clark

Damian Clark

I ended up not unistalling ActiveSky after all but a revision on South American Metars would be appreciated. I decided to "test" it in other parts of the world and the simulation was more than fine. But again, South American Metars behaved in a strange way... specially in Brazil.Btw Damian, I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm sorry if I passed this impression, but as a Brazilian simmer, I feel that "least noble areas of the world", are frequently neglected by add-on developers, freeware or not. But as I saw your interest in correcting these problems, i hope this is not the case with Activesky. And yes, I'm using the latest version....

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Michael but I'm a software developer at work and I've learned to deal with criticism, good or bad. As I answered Damian, I'm sorry if I sounded rude but "ignorance and stupidity" is a bit too much isn't it? For someone who complained about my "lack of tact" I guess you should review your concepts...

Hi,It ha nothing todo with freeware versus payware. Believe me. I am just a happy user of your great free program, and will continue to be.Altough I do work for PSS, dont read me wrong.. that has nothing todo with it. I just reported stutters while it was downloading.Maybe you can lower priority during that activity?Keep the good things commin!Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdUnofficial PSS Website

Hi Johan,None of that was directed at you... Your report of stuttering is appreciated - I am working on this but it is not reproducable on my system so it is trial and error. It will get better. The 'update on new station' options can be turned off to help with this for now, to keep the download refresh rate down when flying in areas with many METAR stations available.Thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark