Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matthew Murray

Ok computer experts..i need ya...

Guest Matthew Murray

Hey, Normally I can fix most issues with my computer..namely don't let the family use it :D ....but I am having a problem that I can't fix...:( It's a really serious issue, I get really low performanc ein FS2K2....like 7FPS!! I used to get 20FPS (same situation...default Cessna/Meigs)....Now I get 7 FPS in Win Xp...I have had 5 odd sets of drivers..same problem..aah must be something different I though....so updated the driver for the AMD AGP thing as per the AMD website...slight increase in performance....now what...system specs as follows...AMD Duron 800Mhz128MB RAM40GB Maxter 7200RPMCreative GeForce 2 MX 32MBPlease help....Regards, Matthew

MattThere's a hundred reasons why this might be happening, but if you've been moving drivers around it could be driver related, for sure. You've not got the optimum memory for FS2K2 ... so if you've gone "beyond" what your GeForce actually needs in terms of driver, you may not now have the best compatibility set up.I recommend nothing later than 30.82 drivers, personally, and 21.83 or 23.11 are - for me - actually quite adequate and more reliable. You may have old driver files in there that need cleaning out ... you could remove all (many threads refer) and make a clean install once more.256MB RAM might improve your lot ... or more if you can go for it, but not more than 512MB in total ... but that's not what you're saying, I know, because you had a faster rig previously. So try the driver route first if you have changed nothing else.I'm no techie ... but I've been there, done that ....Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Matthew Murray

Hey, As I have said I have went through alot of drivers...from my previous (Win 98SE) stale ones, ot the latets BETA ones from the Nvidia site..40's...I've got better FPS with them..I used to get 4FPS now I get 7FPS......please.anyone.......

Guest ba747heavy

Matt --I have to disagree with Mark(respecfully of course) on the drivers issue. I run the 40.41's and won't go back to anything else. I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and nothing makes it hummmm along quite like those 40.41's :-)More RAM will help out your config.Have you 'upped' any settings in FS? Added AI planes? Installed alot of planes? I would recommend going into your scenery optioms and moving them down a little bit at a time until you get acceptable FPS. I would also recommend defragging your drive. I have 300+ planes installed right now, all of the official PAI planes installed right now, and 300+ scenery areas installed(all of the areas that don't require a switchflatten statement are in one area, reducing the load on the scenery.cfg :-)) And if I don't defrag alot, it just slows down soooo much. I would also recommend a program called 'End it All' for running FS. This program will kill the extranious servicesprograms running.Clear skies!

Guest Matthew Murray

Hey, I had a 256MB stick around so I put it in, I boot up, run FS then it crashes my computer. So I took the stick out, did the same FS ran without a problem albeit with 7FPS! I put the stick in again, same problem as before..hmm...might be the stick thats f****d, in that case I better see about getting more RAM!

<>Hi Fred ... well, horses for courses. In my experience, the latest drivers don't do much for Ye Olde GeForce 2 MX Card (which is what Matthew and I are using) except confuse it. But then, I run two cards, three monitors and have my own little set of problems.It's all good fun finding out, though, isn't it? Bet George W Bush hasn't got an answer for FPS in flightsim yet even if he does think he knows how to run the rest of the world ... Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest ba747heavy

Mark --Ouch, ya hit me in a 'soft spot' ;-) GWB, IMHO, knows what he is doing, at least as much as we can responably expect. :) IMOHMy experience with the 40.41s are exclusively with GeForce 4s, so your right, maybe you do knows something more about his situation after all *grin* However, I will take my 40.41s :)Clear skies

Guest ba747heavy

Matt --My friend was having the same problem as you 3 weeks ago. Turns out the stick was bum. He needs to buy a new one, but hasn't got around to doing so.Clear skies

Matthew - I'm assuming the better framerates were with Win98. If that's not correct just ignore the rest of this post. FS2002 will almost always run a bit slower on systems where the CPU speed is less that 1-1.4Ghz - something in the order of a 10-12% drop in framerate is quite common. But your case is extreme and is most probably caused by a lack of physical system memory (RAM). WinXP really needs much more RAM than Win98. With ony 128MB the system is thrashing the swapfile to such a degree that the constant disk accesses are preventing a reasonable framerate. My recommendation is that you go to a minimum of 384MB and up to 512MB if possible. My experience had been that WinXP/FS2002 needs something on the order of 400MB of physical memory to minimize any swapfile activity. Trip

Matthew,Your old buddy Jinesh is here.Your post sounds funny. Look at my system specs:P3, 450 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, SIS 6326.AND ALL SLIDERS TO THE MAX AND I GET 3-7 fps with your Simubuild. Now how is that, Eh?Regards,Jinesh.

Guest Matthew Murray

Hey, Guys..I have sorted it....clean install of FS...and it work slike a dream...form 7FPS to 29FPS!!!!!! with the 40's drivers...now that is nothing short of amazing.....mgith not need that RAM after all....now I think I can get that nice Ariane 737 instead of RAM lol hehehe..maybe a upgrade would still be prudent....