Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dean

I doubled my RAM - Now what? Any next steps?????

Hey Gang!I have doubled my RDRAM form 256 to 512. Is there anything I should do in terms of adjusting any parameters or such that is recommended in order to take advantage of the additional horsepower or is the computer and video card smart enough to realize that there are more bangers under the hood and that a lot of their work is now relieved?Thanks in advance!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest flightpro08

Dennis,Do you see any big change in performance now ?Michael J.

Guest captbulldog

I went from 256mb to 1gb sdram and I see a big different, but going from 800mhz to 2ghz also helps :)

Dennis, if you ever used Cacheman, now is the time to get rid of it!

Bert

Hey Michael J!To be honest with you, I have not noticed any difference yet. The computer boots up as fast as it used to; it takes as long to defragment the HD as it used to before the upgrade (@3.5 hours); FS2002 runs pretty much the same as it used to before the upgrade. In other words, I have not seen the benefits of doubling my RAM yet. Any ideas?Thanks again!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Dennis,With so much RAM you can virtually eliminate your swap file. Go to the virtual emory settings and set the fixed swap file size, say around 200 MB. Set the max and min to the same value - 200 MB. I am not saying it will give you some big boost but this is what I would do at this point.Michael J.

Dennis,Are you using WIndows98 or XP ?Because if you use Windows98(-SE) without any background tasks at all (so flying off-line, no Internet, etc) you won't see any noticeable improvement above 256 Kb.Rob

Guest Martin

Upgrading from 256 MB to 512 MB RDRAM is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. But as you are saying there's not much difference with 512 MB in FS2002, I'm having second thoughts...Shouldn't, for instance, textures load faster and stay loaded in the memory longer? Are you saying there's no (or very little) difference between 256 and 512 MB RDRAM here?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hey Rob!I'm using Windows ME with all the updates.I'm also running an Nvidia GeForce-2 Ultra with the 12.41 drivers.I usually run no background tasks (I use End It All), and I don' usually do internet or multiplayer. I do, however, use FSMeteo on many trips.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Hey Michael J.!Thanks for your continued help with this.One question I have. I've never messed around with the virtual memory before; where do I exactly go to adjust this setting?Thanks again man!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Hey Martin!I'm not saying it wouldn't be advantageous, but I am saying that I have not noticed any major difference up to now. Michael J. suggested that I tweaked the virtual memory settings to see if I notice any difference. As soon as I figure out how to adjust virtual memory, and where, I'll let you know what my findings are.Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Hey Mike!I found the Virtual Memory settings by right clicking My Computer, and clicking on the Performance tab; however, this is what I get as options:Let Windows manage my virtual memoryLet me specify my virtual memory settings...and under that I get a Hard Disk choice box with: C:17014MB freeMinimumMaximumor disable virtual memoryI'm using Windows ME. Any ideas??Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Guest Martin

Thanks Dennis. :-)As RDRAM is rather expensive I really don't want to double it unless it really makes a difference!Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing