Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dean

I doubled my RAM - Now what? Any next steps?????

I noticed a massive difference. Esp. on high res 2d views, switching to wing views, etc. Before, it would pause to load the bitmap every time I changed views. Now, it pauses the first time only...for the rest of the flight the views are instant.Also noticed much better frames in turns, etc.OH! and if you think you are not running backround tasks in ME because you use "enditall", click Start-->Run, type "msconfig" and have a look at just what all is really running.mp

I don't think you will see a difference in FS, but you should see a difference in running multiple applications at the same time. And unless your computer is writing to the hard drive in FS, I don't think virtual memory settings will help.Paulhttp://www.advdigitalmedia.com/sig.jpg

>Hey Rob! >>I'm using Windows ME with all the updates. >There's your problem, you're running ME (one of the worst OS MS ever put out). You should have spent that money upgrading to XP which is far more superior at handling RAM. I noticed an improvement when I upgraded to 512 from 128, but the biggest performance increase I ever noticed was was when I installed XP. Not talking FS2002 here, just the whole overall system.Tim

Yes Dennis, you found the right place. Pick "let me specify my virtual .." and then set minimum = maximum = 200 MB.Michael J.

I am running ME with 512M and also and have problems. What exactly do I have to do to upgrade to XP? I don't want to reformat and loose all my programs and settings. Is it an easy install? Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest Dean

>I don't think you will see a difference in FS, but you >should see a difference in running multiple applications at >the same time. I have to agree. I think the benefits as they affect FS of going from 256 meg of ram to 512 are way overstated. At least in the areas that can be measured. I can't say I saw a change going from 256 to 512. Athlon 1800+, Gigabyte GA7VRXP512 meg. Corsair PC2700, Win 98 SEVisiontek GF 3, Nvidia 30.82Soundblaster Live, IBM ATA100 HD

Hi Bob, when I upgrade to a new OS I opt to do a clean install, that way you know there's no problems. I never upgraded from ME so not sure. You're best bet is if you have a CD-RW to back up all your programs and settings, email etc.. I use a back up program called Dbackup and believe it or not, I can back up all my programs, settings and even all my addons in FS2002 on one CD-R. I can wipe out my entire hard drive and do a complete reinstall and have everything the way it was and FS2002 with all my add-ons in about 2 hours. The OS is so superb to Win9X I could never go back. Fast start up on programs and much better ram improvment. ME was a ripoff to the consumers imho.Tim