Sign in to follow this  

Problems with Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8

Guest Lobaeux4

Has anyone been able to use Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8 panel? I can start it up pretty well, using the documentation, yet when it comes time to advance the condition levers, using ctrl-F1 as it says in the manual, the condition levers do nothing. I've even made sure that that command is not already in use by FS2K2. The panel looks great (a little small on the lettering), and the system modeling is fantastic, but I've never been able to do anything other than start it up. On more than one occassion it freezes on me, don't think it's the panel, I think it's something to do with my sound card, so between the freezing and the condition levers that won't move, i've yet to fly with it. Any idea on when PSS will be releasing their Dash 8?Lobaeux

I believe you need a yoke to fly the Dash 8. I don't have a yoke and I could not see any thing telling me how to use keyboards for it.

Hello everyone ! From release 1.002 and on (available at avsim.com) it is possible to use both keyboard and joystick for controlling an aircraft. However, to start engines you will still need a mouse click on condition levers to switch the fuel on (for more, look at sample flight doc), all mouse click spots are shown in Switch&Light guide.regardsOleksiy Frolov

Guest PhilipManwaring

You might want to make sure that CTRL-F1 is properly assigned to minimum prop condition - it sounds from your post like it may not be assigned at all right now. Even so, you can click on the right spot on the throttle quadrant if you can't get the key command to work. This panel, plane, and sound set is worth the effort to master. Invest some time to learn it and I can assure you that you will not be sorry.Happy flying,Philip

Guest Lobaeux4

This looks like an awesome panel. I had "set prop RPM to low" to the ctrl-f1, I changed it to a button on my throttle, is this what you're talking about, or does it have to be ctrl-f1? I hope I can get this panel to work, I really want to fly the dash 8.Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Flight plans. How do they show up in the Dash 8? Just on the HSI?Lobaeux

Hi ! I don't have buttons on my throttles Though if you'll assign a button to cond.levers MIN , it must work (when engines are started) . I have checked it myself.Or may be i did not really get what's your problem is ...P.S. Flight plan will be indicated in HSI and FMS, but only in version 2 (still to come)regardsOleksiy.

Guest Lobaeux4

I'll check to see if there is a condition levers min and make sure ctrl-f1 is set to it. I was actually able to start the engines, and takeoff, yet the condition levers remained in the start position. I couldn't get them to unfeather, yet I was still able to able to takeoff and fly. I'll check it again once my wife gets off the big computer. Too bad right now about having to wait for version 2. Any ideas on when it will be out? I'm thinking this Dash 8 may be just the commuter aircraft I've been looking for. Especially since you can't download Eurowings.ThanksLobaeux

Guest PhilipManwaring

Did you try to click the condition levers into the right position with the mouse? I can't understand why you could taxi and take off but the props were still feathered! Sounds like something is certainly wrong.Flight plans do not show up on the HSI - this puppy is flown with charts and VOR/DME navigation. It also features ADF if you prefer. The HSI is great for VOR/DME nav since you can simultaneously display direction to the tuned VORs or ADF systems as well as the CDI for the current navaid. You can also store the OBS setting for each VOR and it will switch to the saved setting when you switch between VOR1 and VOR2. Pretty cool stuff.

Guest Lobaeux4

Okay, no FP, no problem, just pulled out the charts for a short flight from glasgow to campbelltown. Start up worked okay, still couldn't get the condition levers to leave the start position. Used ctrl-f1 to no avail. No problem though as I was able to taxi and takeoff, and moving the alternate feather switches to unfeather must've done the trick. Now I've got two new problems. I've got the flap switches on my joystick. One for retract and one for extend. I tried to set the flaps to 15, and all they did was sit and click back and forth between 0 and 5 and make that annoying clicking noise. Never could get them to stay in one position. Not sure if it's a problem with my joystick (no problem with any other a/c I fly with) or not. Also, I set up the nav 1, set the autopilot to fly nav, set 6000 in the altitude select, then selected "altsel" button. The a/c climbed up to 6000, held it there for a minute, everything seemed to be going well. Then, the a/c entered into a sharp dive, I punched off A/P, and tried to recover. Seeing as how the a/c accelerated to 250, overspeed flashed, and then I overstressed the a/c trying to pull out of the dive. Flight ended rather catastrophically and I ended up back at the terminal at Glasgow. While I was hand-flying the a/c, it was smooth, but when I put on the a/p, the nose bounced up and down. Any ideas why? Any ideas why the flaps wouldn't work? And in reading the sample flight doc, it says to slow down the props rpm to around 1050 by pushing the condition levers and later to push the condition levers all the way to max for the approach. My condition levers wouldn't move by using the mouse. In fact, they don't move at all. Can't figure that one out.Thanks, any corrections for this outstanding panel?Lobaeux

Ever since I got the latest update (version 1.02, I believe), neither the condition levers or the throttle levers on the pedestal panel move correctly anymore. The throttle gate will open and close with a mouse click as is normal, but the levers don't move with the increased power as they should (although the engine spools up as it should). The condition levers will move from the closed to the low idle open position with the mouse click as indicated, so I can start the engines. But they don't move visually anymore past that spot. It's a bit weird, I have a Precision Flight Control throttle console and use a twin engine throttle assembly which includes throttle, prop rpm and mixture levels. These all control the airplane power as they should, but again, no visual confirmation on the panel anymore. So if you use the keyboard to control these functions, you may get the appropriate result without the visual confirmation on the panel.Also, can anyone successfully taxi this plane? Despite the high end hardware I have, including the throttle console, the AFCS Yoke and Cirrus Pro Pedals...the aircraft taxis like the pilots failed a BAC test and never should have been given the keys...with or without nosewheel steering engaged. It yaws and accelerates quickly, I wish there was a way to dampen the movement out on the ground, I end up bumping the throttles open and closed and find nosewheel steering too sensitive, so I use a very light foot on the rudder pedals. This is my all time favorite turboprop commuter, and once i get it into the air it's a dream to fly, but each taxi segment is always very exciting...chris

Hi Chris ! If you use PFC for flight sim, you will need a "PFC" version of the .gau file. Please give me the mail to Dash8@programmer.net, and i will send it to you.Also for lobaeux : Please confirm you are able to put the CLs to start&feather with the mouse, before u trying to unfeather ?Oleksiy

Hias for the flaps, you will not be able to control them before you a) properly unfeather props, so engine hydraulic pumps will give enough pressure, or :( turn on standby electrical hydraulic pumps (while on ground) and external AC power.Oleksiy

And as a PFC user myself, I can confirm that the PFC version of the .gau makes flying this DASH a truly rewarding experience. Two levers for props and two more for CLs make it so much easier to fly. I even tackled the EGLC 5 degree glideslope last night and managed to land without bouncing! Cheers,AndyEGTR

Guest Lobaeux4

Oleksiy,I have been able to move the condition levers with the mouse button to the start position. That works fine, yet I've got the same problem that HawaiianCondor has, using v 1.02, the condition levers just don't move.Taxiing works like a champ. I really like the use of a hand wheel, it's definetly more realistic, I'm use to the one in the C-130, don't use the rudder when taxiing too much.As for the flaps, I haven't been able yet to get them to stop popping between 0 and 5, with the clicking noise. I'll try again here in a few minutes when I can kick my wife off the computer.LobaeuxBTW I'm using an SFS joystick and throttle. It's a split throttle, but I haven't been able to get FS2k2 to recognize both axis of the throttle (1&