Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

De Havilland Dash 8 prop revs always in the red?

Guest cliff

The new Dash 8 is a superb aircraft but is it correct for the revs to be in the red irrespective of the throttle setting?Cliff

Guest RiddlePilot

I believe that would be a Dash 7.

I see where you confused people...first off:"The new Dash 8 is a superb aircraft but is it correct for the revs to be in the red irrespective of the throttle setting?"First off, this DASH 7 (NOT DASH 8 :-scatter) has been out for quite a few weeks now. It was uploaded to AVSIM in early September. Therefore, it is certainly not new.Your problem description is quite, well, indescriptive. If you are referring to a problem with prop RPM, the designer, Milton Shupe, has a fix. All you need to do is e-mail him. Turboprops are substantially more complex than props with reciprocating engines. I couldn't possibly explain to you exactly why these aircaft are operated in such a fashion, but generally, the propellers will revolve at the same rate, irrespective, as you say, of throttle setting. Most modern turboprops are geared to the propellors. The red-line RPM coondition you refer to is normaly for takeoff, landing, and max power climb situations. During cruise, the condition levers are set to the cruise setting, and throttle is used to maintain a general cruize speed.Hope this clarifies! :-)

Guest cliff

Thanks for your helpful information David."They seek him here, they seek him there, they seek him everywhere"Well that's what I feel like. I've been trawling the Dash site as well as "Google" to find an e-mail address for Milton Shupe but without success.I'd like to get that fix and would appreciate it if you would tell me how to contact him.Cliff

>Thanks for your helpful information David. >>I'd like to get that fix and would appreciate it if you >would tell me how to contact him. Me too!!Barry