Sign in to follow this  
gosta

What makes Active Sky worth downloading?

How it it better than FS Meteo or the Jepp weather you can download directly off Fltsim?

Hi,ActiveSky is completely free and other than the very laborious download of less than 1MB :), there is really no headache in giving it a try and seeing if you like it! It does not really compare to what you mentioned.... We're talking automatic intelligent presentation of current weather data. This all occurs dynamically so you run the program (or set it to auto start with FS) and forget it... You automatically have the latest real-world weather at all times. The weather set engine is quite unique too, attempting to give you better visual cloud scenes depending on the processed conditions. Give it a go!-Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Well, I haven't tried FS Meteo, but the default weather you can download from FS is only useful, if you're flying in the US, otherwise you'll have visibility problems (actually no, the rest of the world seems to have unlimited visibility), 'holes' in the weather, where reporting stations aren't correctly implemented in FS (in Western Europe, try France or the English Channel, as well as the Mediterranean, it's perpetually 15 degrees and 1013 QNH - not my real-life experience...)Also, the wind effects are much more realistic, with FS weather, a 4 knot crosswind will shake your 767 as if it was a paper plane, while online weather (Active Sky as well as the one supplied by Vatsim or IVAO) will actually make you feel as if you're sitting in a hundred or so tons of iron...It's free, so try it - you've got nothing to lose.Cheers,Gosta.P.S.: The only annoying thing about Active Sky is that every time I had a problem, I logged on to Avsim only to find that a new version had just been released which fixed the problem - Damian is just way too efficient :).