Sign in to follow this  

is 737NG ETOPS?

looking at PMDG's new 737 I was wondering, is the 737 ETOPS? Boeings website shows that from Boston, the 737 can just about reach london. Do any airlines, or could any airlines fly 737's from the East coast of the US to London???

Well, they certainly could - a lot of the delivery flights to Europe make it non-stop, but as far as ETOPS is concerned, I believe that depends on the airlines (ETOPS is not required for delivery flights). I seem to remember that there are non-stop services from the North American West Coast to Hawaii using 737s, in fact I know that Alaska Airlines is flying from Vancouver direct to Hawaii, and the biggest equipment I've seen them use here at CYVR is a 737 - I hope they're not using their DeHavilland type planes for that trip...Cheers,Gosta.

No, right now the smallest ETOPS certified airplane is the 757-200 which, for example, Continental Airlines uses from Boston to London Gatwick.

Privatair has scheduled BBJ service between Newark and Germany on behalf of Lufthansa. Aloha flies their NGs between Hawaii and the West Coast.

Yes, the BBJ is ETOPS certified, but then it's not your average 737 (just as the ACJ isn't a normal A319) - they've got bigger tanks to start with...However, the Hawaii - West Coast services are interesting, as they would require ETOPS certification, I believe Aloha flies their 737s into KSFO, don't they? Also, isn't it possible to get to Europe without ETOPS certification? I remember after the Air Transat A330 made an emergency landing without fuel somewhere in the Azores, NavCanada banned them from the transatlntic routes, forcing them to use the more northerly tracks over Greenland. How much ETOPS is required for that? Surely it can be done under 90 minutes.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest RiddlePilot

I think ETOPS is more of a saftey thing. Its not whether it can make it there on full fuel, but more of what if an engine fails half way across the pond.

Based on range, sure. Only reason I said perplexing is that it was unique to me to see the 737 NG as ETOPS. Before I saw that Aloha page I had never heard of a 200 model as ETOPS.Joe

Joe Lorenc

Air Nauru was operating 737-200's on ETOPS missions up until 1994 when they picked up a 737-400. Freedom Air is operating their -300