Sign in to follow this  

Help-GPS with Delorme Street Atlas

Can anyone tell me how to run Delorme Street Atlas in GPS mode with FS2002 (one monitor-one computer)? I have the program GPS Out, but can't figure out how to get it to run. Thank you.

It is much easier to run GPS Out on two systems, like a desktop and a laptop, but you can run both GPS Out and Street Atlas on one machine. The mandatory requirement is that you have 2 open ports on your desktop and a cable that can connect to both ports.For example, if you have 2 serial ports, you would designate GPS Out to use Com1 and set up Delorme to use Com2 for the GPS input. A null modem cable (crossover) would be used to connect Com1 and Com2. Also make sure that the protocol is aligned, for example, 4800 baud, etc.Another option is to build a custom cable that runs from the com port to another port, like USB or network, and install a driver that can convert the input signal to an available com port. You'll have to crossover the input and output pins on the cable and insure that the voltages are correct. It's a much more difficult connection, but it can be done. I have a USB GPS unit that connects to my USB port on my laptop and a driver that converts the USB input to com4 so Delorme can recognize the signal.But I'll stress again, that after you go through all the trouble to run Delorme on the same computer as FS2002 and GPS Out, you'll find that you can't watch both as easily as when they are running on separate systems. So I HIGHLY recommend that you NOT run all apps on the same system, not just for better funtionality, but because the hook up is much easier to implement on a multiple computer system. The ideal set up is a desktop running FS2002 + GPS Out and a laptop running Delorme (or any other mapping software that is NMEA compliant).Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the info. Ok, I'll go with your advice on using the the 2 desktops, but am lost on what to do from there. I do have the 2 systems networked together with ethernet cards...but sure don't know how run the GPS and F2002 on both systems. Can you advise me on this/ Thanks much.