Sign in to follow this  

Attn: Bruce Nicholson

RE: Help-GPS with Delorme Street Atlas"In response to message #1 Bruce, thanks for the info. Ok, I'll go with your advice on using the 2 desktops, but am lost on what to do from there. I do have 2 systems networked together with ethernet cards...but sure don't know how run the GPS and F2002 on both systems. Can you advise me on this? Thanks much.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been away for a week and saw your message when I returned.If you are using 2 desktops, the easiest method is to use the serial ports on each computer and not the ethernet ports. GPSout and Delorme are set up to use serial ports and if you use any other port you'll have to mess around with hard to find drivers.Begin by getting a null-modem cable. That is a cable that crosses the transmit and receive signals on each end. You can find this cable in most computer stores. Be sure you have the correct male or female connectors on each end.Run FS2002 and GPSout on your main desktop and run Street Atlas on your second desktop. Follow the instructions in the GPSOUT readme file for designating the COM port and the baud rate. There are also different output codes that GPSout generates based on the type of mapping software that you may be using.I've found the follow set up works well in the GPSout.ini file:Sentences=GGA,VTGInterval=1500Port=COM1Speed=4800The sentence setup will show your position and altitude whereas other sentence settings will only show your position and not the altitude. The Port and Speed lines should be set to whatever you are using in Street Atlas.On the second computer, start Steet Atlas and run the GPS module. Double check the COM port and baud rate settings so GPSout can synch up properly.If you have the correct cable, and communication settings, you should see a green dot in Street Atlas that matches your FS2002 location. If you use the auto-pan feature, the screen will shift as your position moves off the screen, similar to a moving map display.I love using the combination. Street Atlas is like a online tour guide when I'm flying. I can see the names of the towns, mountain peaks, rivers, etc. Another Delorme product that is cool to use with GPSout is TopoUSA. It doesn't have the same street detail, but it has the topography, which is great when you are flying in mountainous territory.Hope this gets you started,Bruce

A Great big THANKS to you Bruce. I got it and it works fantastic!Yep, I'm going to have to get TopoUSA too and try it out.Thanks again!