Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Fs2002 and anisotropic filtering

I tried to get a response over at the Screen Shots forum but got no responses. I will try here.Would someone out of the kindness of his heart please post two screen shots, one showing anisotropic filtering on and the other showing it off in FS2002 - with everything else being the same. Thanks,Robbie

Guest jaapverduijn

Eh... why don't you do that yourself?

Guest Dean

I'd like to try this myself but I can't find a setting for anisotropic filtering. Where is it? I'm using a Visiontek G3 with Nvidia 30.82 drivers.

I think on a screenshot, you won't see much difference.Anisothropic filtering mainly cures the shimmering/flickering you get, when setting the mipmapping LOD to 0 or negative values.Because setting the LOD to 0 or smaller values, gives you a crisp image, but as mentioned you get flickers and shimmering when in IN MOTION!Since a screenshot cannot simulate motion :-) it is not possible to show you the difference here in the forum. The only way to find out is to try it by yourself. Go and download the Detaonators 40.72 drivers and RivaTuner from the guru-homepage. This enables you to change anisothropic filtering.I have a GF3 Ti200. With some fiddeling with anisothropic filtering I was able to set the shimmering to an acceptable minimum, when having mipmapping disabled. The result is a crisp and clear sim.RegardsWolfgang

Dean - Use RivaTuner from http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/ to set the filtering level for the drivers. The difference can be dramatic when combined with an LOD Bias of -.5 to -1.0 (also set with RivaTuner).Trip

Hey Japverdung,Not everyone has a card with an anisotropic filtering option. You learn something every day... Eh?

Thanks for the example JeanLuc_! That's exactly what I was looking for. How much of a performance hit do you take by using it?Thanks,Robbie

Guest JeanLuc_

no impact on the performances. On the contrary. Since Anisotropic maintains a good visual quality even with Mip Mapping turned on, as shown on the pictures, I save usefull memory bandwidth (thus less stuters with FS2002) since it keeps updating smaller texture bitmaps in the distance. (config = GF2MX200 + P4 1.3)

Guest jase439

I won't refute your results, but I think the general consensus from everything I've read on this board is that AF will ding you about 30-50% in frame rates. I have a P4 2.4 w/ 512 MB of ram and FS2K2 screams holy fire - I still take a 40% hit on my Ti4600 when enabling AF.Looks fantastic, but I prefer the fluidity of 30 fps over 18.J

Guest JeanLuc_

Amazingly I dont have any such performance hit. My AF is set to Level2 (16 TAP) and LOD adjusted to -0.5. FS is running at 1024x768x16 bits and NO FSAA. I'm also using Det 28.32 under WinXP. My absolute FPS won't be of significant use, just note that with or without AF (i.e. bilinear, trilinear, AF) I keep similar performances. Again, each one's system might produce different results.Hope this helps!

Guest jase439

Our settings are quite similar with 1 exception...typically I run 1280x960x32, -0.5 LOD, and 16 tap AF (when I do enable it) - but I also have FSAA 2x enabled as well. Maybe the combination of FSAA and AF just floods the card's bandwidth. I also get some funny artifacting/blurring with text with AF enabled - but that's nothing new...had that all the way back to my GF2 card.Come to think of it, this is quite likely the case - as I do recall trying 1600x1200x32 with NO FSAA once...AF seemed to perform much better in that environment. Maybe I'll give that a whirl again.Cheers,J