Sign in to follow this  

Landing helper: radar altitude and vocal readings ?

Hi!Does anybody know if there's available some ( preferably freeware ;-) ) general-type add-ons, that is connected to aircraft's ground radar and could read (vocally) altitudes while landing the plane? Im using for example following aircraft: ERJ-145 (Grabowski's) and would like to have some additional / more detailed help to those "hard landings"... To help flaring, i would like having copilot to give me some vocal altitude readings: "100 hundred ft", "50", "40","30","20","10"... Any low-budget add-ons for implementing more co-operative autopilot, or maybe i should have more faith and just wait for FS2004?

Not sure about other add ons, but the Dreamfleet 737-400 payware package has this feature. I find it quite helpfull as well.

Guest Grey_Wolf

The as332 newly released on www.simaviation.com has a call out guage that functions as you describe. I have also gotttern the same guage in several aircraft I have downloaded as freeware, but I dont actually recall wich aircraft those were excatly. The gauge is called FPDA_BOEING_CALLOUT just place it on your main panel, its an invisible gauge. but it needs to be on a visible panel for it to work this lkink should work for ya http://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...hor=&CatID=RootHave fun

btw this is called a GPWS, Ground proximity warning system

Send your e-mail adress to yoss@isdn.net.il and i will send to yousuch gaugeJoseph

Billion thanks nramsey, Grey_Wolf, ealvarez and yoss for your quick advice and information!!!Those addon gauges were the aswer for my problem!(I'm a total newbie what comes to adding gauges to aircrafts -didn't even know about the possibility of that-)I installed that splendid Prokopiu/Binamira Airbus A330/340 cauge (thanks Grey_Wolf) to the Grabowski's excellent ERJ -panel (that has only the 100 ft readout) and now have the comprehensive altitude readouts when landing! As this cauge is simulating Airbus flight computer action, i guess it could also go for something that "joe the fast-speaking ERJ co-pilot" could maybe do in the real life... Again, thanks all of you for your help!! 40 - 30 - 20 - retard! ;-)

[a href=http://www.schiratti.com]Project Magenta[/a] has a freeware sound package that, although intended for use with their other packs but works just fine for calls of that nature... It calls passing 10,000 and coming down at 2500, 1000, increments of 100 below 500, then 50, 40, 30, 20.Find it on their software updates page.

I don't think so, Ernesto? :-)A GPWS is primarily designed to warn of controlled flight into terrain, and provides aural and visual warnings of an impending ground collision(TOO LOW, TERRAIN! WHOOP, WHOOP, PULL UP!, etc).Radio altitude callouts, on the other hand, are an aid to the pilot in descending(<2000') and landing an aircraft correctly.Regards,Frank

Guest GabrielR

Flight Deck Companion, even though is a payware, has helped me make the best landings ever, it calls out the altitude starting at 2500ft. all the way to 10ft. and also call the minimus for those AI forced go arounds!Very nice copilot, and highly customizable to fit your needs. Do you ever remember to set the autopilot settings for a go around during your final approach to the runway?? FDC reminds you of that and much more, take a look at the forum right next door...PS/ I am not part of any FDC marketing group. Only a satisfied customer.

Thanks all, for your great tips! Attachment image shows a one miserable day when i should have had all the possible co-pilot help available, including altitude callouts! I will not want to discuss what happened after takeoff when i banked 180 degrees and tried to land back to that same airstrip ;-) Hint: lot's of dust on the air and collapsed barn ;-)