Sign in to follow this  

avsim is being censored by flightsim.com

I thought this issue had been resolved, but evidently not. I was reading a post that linked to a file in the avsim library, except that avsim was blocked out by #####. When I wrote a note questioning this policy, I was dumbfounded to see that my use of the word avsim was blocked out by...#####. and administrator posted a response that this decision was in accordance with and agreed to by flightsim founder nels anderson. I remember when nels was one of the most helpful guys around back in the early days of commodore 64 and FS4. I just want everyone who uses both forums to know about this awful situation...bad for the forums, and bad for the users. Thankfully, Tom has not insituted anything similar...at least not as far as I have noticed.thanks for letting me vent.Sherm

Sherm, I am presuming you have put the ######'s in your message deliberately, because unless they are profanities, we don't filter out the names of other sites. Please clarify, otherwise one could conclude that we are blocking a site name in your message, which is not the case.

Guest PhilipsCDRW

Avsim flightsim flightsim.com avsim.com www.flightsim.com www.avsim.com Look ma, no censoring!It seems very immature of Flightsim. Why on earth would they do that? These two sites shouldn't be in competiton...

yes Tom, I typed in the symbols to demonstrate what flightsim.com is doing. for the record, you and your forum administrators did not make any attempt at censorship. I think that cross references to things found on any forum are to the hobby's advantage.Sherm

Guest victorwest

All these spats between sites are all rather petty as far as I'm concerned. We should all be working toward one goal - the best FS experience achievable.Victor

That's all fine and well Victor, but that presumes that AVSIM is taking part in this "spat". I have no idea what precipitated this last round of cesoring out the word "AVSIM" in their forums, and frankly, I could care less. There's no "spat" as far as I am concerned.

Its always been my impression that its not Avsim's style to get wrapped up in such nonsense. That bad behavior from the other site is only an ugly reflection of themselves.Tom Diack

Hi Sherm,I too have noticed censoring of anthing with "avsim.com" in the flightsim site. I actually am a member of both sites but post more in AVSIM because there are more relevant forums here and your file library is very very good.I am fairly new to the fligh simulation world (since September 2003 but member of forums only since about March 2004) and the impression I've gotten of Flightsim is that it sounds like their "philosophy" may have changed. They have a very slow download of their files available for free and free users often get a msg. to the effect that the server is unavailable due to overload, and I finally joined up by paying to get decent download rates and on-demand donwloads. AVSIM's philosophy is to stay free for all with excellent download rates (and even an upgrade of their servers last year to improve them even further). I think Flightsim has changed their philosophy after the "dot.com" crash where profits/stocks came down for all ".com" sites.In any case, just thought I'd put in my "2.5 cents" worth :)) Please anyone correct me or feel free to add missing info if I'm wrong.John