Sign in to follow this  
Guest ssurjap

Approach doesn't know the runway in use?

This happens to me from time to time when I'm using real weather. Appraoch is vectoring me into a runway. Nice vectors to the ILS. I'm following the ILS, gear is down, flaps full at the final approach fix. Appraoch says "contact tower", then tower tells me to fly a left downwind to the opposite runway. Is there a setting I can enable in FSUIPC that might help approach recognize the winds at the airfield?Thanks,Scott

No one has found a cure yet, that I'm aware of. Another problem is that AI aircraft ignore the instructions to enter the downwind for the other runwsy, and continue thier original approach - so if YOU go around, you may find one of them landing head-on at you...

BobK

Suggest you continue with your landing then. Since such things happen it must be caused by wind changes during your descent. Well in real life once on finals you go ahead with the landing :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been doing as you advised and continuing the landing. Once over to ground control, all seems to be forgivien by ATC...:)

Guest ssurjap

There was an earlier post on this topic. This has to do with the way the wind was blowing by the time you get to the point where ATC vectors you for a runway. Here's an example:You're landing at KBFI. Standard runways are 13R and 31L. Weather at KBFI is 300 at 8. You get handed off to Seattle Approach. However, at this handoff point, MSFS has the winds at 130 at 8. Naturally, Approach will vector you to runway 13R. However, when you get to the point (say 15 nm of the airport), the weather is updated to the correct winds (300 at 8). Naturally, the ATC will get you to land at runway 31L.The quick and dirty way around this, like it has been posted before, is to land anyway. The other way to do this, if you are using an external weather program like FSMETEO or ActiveSky, is to set the program to set the weather 80NM from the airport, since ATC will usually give you vectors to the runway roughly 70NM from the airport.Of course, even if the weather is set correctly, it doesn't mean that you still can't be re-vectored because the wind could have changed while you are on final but prior to you contacting tower.Steve