Sign in to follow this  

Jerks in Active sky?

Was wondering if anyone else can confirm getting jerks in Active sky 1.5? I seem to get about 3 or 4 good jerks everytime it updates the weather. I'm thinking it's because I have a winmodem which uses the processor and maybe those with real modems aren't having these problems. Another reason to be able to download all metar files at once. Great program though. Anyone else?Tim

Guest ba747heavy

Tim --I just download AS 1.4 about 10 minutes before 1.5 was release :) No stutters though, and I doubt that 1.5 would be that much of a change.Clear skies

I get the same stutters and I have ADSL so its nothing to do with your modem.Great program though :-)Bill

Guest Edam

ADSL here too, and the occasional stutters. What clouds are you all using?

FS2002 clouds and I also get the stutters with version 1.3.In actual fact I am not sure that the clouds are an issue as it will also stutter with clear skies. I am sure Damian is onto it.

Guys,Yes I'm working on this.. can't reproduce here though so it's tough. Does this problem happen during METAR updates, FD updates, or both? If you have update FD on new station checked, you'll get the FD winds aloft download (7 actual web requests) everytime you go into a new metar area. Try unchecking this one and see if the METAR updates are working ok whereas the FD updates are making it 'jerk'. Thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest GabrielR

Hey what a piece of software you have given us!! ThanksI do get the Jerks, 2 or 3 everytime the program updates the Metar info, that lasts about 3 secs. clear skies, and cloudy with deafult textures. I have not noticed loss in FPS which reamins stable during all the operation of the program.NOt a very big Issue!, but if it could be fixed, well, that would be great. (I try to think about it as turbulence or something) Athlon 1.3512 RAMGforce 2MX 64(not a huge machine, I know!)Win XP HomeAverage FPS in Default Scenery 20

I have not noticed any jerks with it....however should I have "update FD with new station" checked?Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Naw, that option is best unchecked actually.. it is more of a debug tool than anything. It will force FD's to download and re-set everytime you get within range of a new closest METAR station. You normally would just want to have it update according to the FD interval (unchecked).However, if you change airports (world, go to airport) after FD's have already been loaded, and you are not "updating on new station" then you will have FD info for the wrong area until it either refreshes (according to FD interval) or you manually refresh FD winds aloft. When I was testing by going to many different areas I wanted FD's to reload each time so that is why that option exists in the first place :)I mentioned it because it may be the reason some have extra 'jerks' when reloading METAR data.Anyways, since some report experiencing this even with just a METAR update (very small overhead compared to FD update), then I need to find out what is common amongst those having the problem. Perhaps it is just CPU speed related.Can I get some CPU speed specs from those who are or are not having this problem? It may help a bunch.. thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I have experienced the stutters with each version of Activesky I've used. I don't blame the program, I just attribute it to my system specs. Activesky is wonderful, I just need a faster system. Uh, could someone explain to my wife that I need another system upgrade? ;)My specs are: Pent. III / 800 mhz 384 mb ram Geforce 4 TI 4400 56k dial up net connectionKP

Guest Howard

DamianThanks for your excellent programme. I get the jerking movement during weather download. System specs are below and I do use ADSL. I will shortly be updating to a P4 2.53gHz and will let you know if the problem persists.RegardsHoward

I can recreate the problem on 2 pc's d/l via a WDSL connection, specs below. Great work Damian, truly appreciate it.system 1P2 450384mb ram64mb ddr graphics cardmajor fps hit on FD d/lsystem 2P3 933384mb ram32mb graphics card3/4 fps hit on FD d/l