Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a left handed....

joystick! I am trying to find a website that has a left handed (or a joystick that is universal - nothin fancy - does NOT have to have mucho features or buttons). My best joystick I ever owned was $20.00 bucks. I've have/had the better products i.e. Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeedback (gameport), CH Yoke 3 lever USB (sold it for $75.00), CH Rudder with Toe Brakes USB (ain't ever gettin rid of it :)) and a Microsoft Sidewinder USB (presently using). Thanks in advance!Jason

I agree, i'm lefthanded and the best joystick I could find was a Saitek 3d digital, I believe they now do a usb version and a force feedback one.

Guest Heather 636

I was coming on to inform you of the Saitek 3D Gold, but see that others have already done that.If you don't mind used, you can get them pretty cheap through Ebay, where I got mine.I'm right handed, but either way, a VERY nice joystick. I have been most pleased with it.Cheers!Heather

Guest Calb

Pardon my curiosity but what does being left-handed have to do with flying ?Calhover long and prosper

Not a lot... unless you want to control your aircraft with a joystick, then it becomes quite important.If you haven't thought about it before, you might wish to give some consideration to the huge number of left-handed people throughout the world who are not catered for at all because they are a minority.(Actually I have taught myself to fly right-handed. I don't think I could play arcade games with my right hand, but it is surprisingly easy to fly that way.

Guest Fortress

I'm left-handed too and the best 'stick I've ever owned was a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force - a FFB 'stick which comes with an allen key (much like the other Saitek stick mentioned previously) and is more configurable than all the Transformers stuck together!Cheers,Paul

http://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/Fortress.gifVoted Best Virtual Airline of 2002 and Best CEO of 2002 by participants in the BIG VA Vote organized by FSPILOT.comVANF "Best" New Virtual Airline AwardOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logohttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/saint_georgex1.gif

Guest Simpit

Left handed also... but I use a joystick or mouse with my right hand. You will get used to it if you have to... just ask folks like F-16 pilots, etc. My feeling is that they don't make special versions of any type of transportation vehicle for left handed folks... one is going to have to adapt.Having said that, I do wish sympathise with the lefties that do want something that works better for them... ;)

>Left handed also... but I use a joystick or mouse with my >right hand. You will get used to it if you have to... just >ask folks like F-16 pilots, etc. >>My feeling is that they don't make special versions of any >type of transportation vehicle for left handed folks... one >is going to have to adapt. >>Having said that, I do wish sympathise with the lefties that >do want something that works better for them... ;)Well, I am right handed and use a right handed joystick -- BUT I am starting to feel the need to use a lefthanded joystick myself, because flying complex aircraft like the ERJ145, I need to be doing things with the mouse using my right hand while I steer/hold pitch with my left hand. I find it all especially difficult on takeoff when you are trying to select different autopilot modes, turn on airconditioning, turn off the no smoking signs, etc -- all while you are trying to hold course and altitude.Barry

I'm lefthanded too, but I taught myself to use a stick in my right hand. Gives you a far broader range of equipment you can use (throttle controls, more sticks, etc.), is more realistic and frees up the left hand for other things (like a separate throttle, a mouse, or the keyboard).First few hours of use will be hard, but it quickly becomes second nature.

Hi Jeroen,well, I am not a pilot in reality, but arent throttle levers usually down on your right side? That would theoretically give an advantage to lefties since their "strong/sensitive limb" is on the left holding the yoke (and maintaining altitude/whatever) while controlling the engine... but that probably doesnt make any difference in real life.I am a leftie too and I cannot change. So I am grateful for firms like Saitek. They really cater to a niche market. :) Their Cyborg FF joystick is great by the way and my recommendation for lefties.ru,celticmatrix

Guest RiddlePilot

And you gotta have a left handed stick for those Airbuses...

Depends on the aircraft and the seat :-)I got my HOTAS when flying military sims almost exclusively. Those have the throttle on the left and the stick either to the right or (more usually) in the middle (no, not that joystick) :-rotorMost civilian aircraft have no stick of all of course, they have a yoke.And even if you're in an Airbus, the F/O still has his stick to the right.Plus 99% of all quality sticks out there are righthanded only, making for a far larger selection of quality sticks to choose from.