Sign in to follow this  

Mid air collision

Has anyone actually collided with an A/I aircraft in flight. I've come face to face with a couple on the taxi way, but we just sat there looking at each other. Just said heck with it and exited.

Hi!You have played "chicken" :) ? Well it sounds you did the wise decision there on the taxi way ;-) !!I have had two nearly collision-state incidents in mid-air (under IFR-flights), and have played MS2002 only total ~50 hours... Have traffic settings 100%. Both incidents were at the beginning of the landing glide-slope, after ATC has cleread me to land... perhaps i have been flying too slow or something... or then it's the "MS" ;-)Grabowski's freeware ERJ-panel v2 has the excellent TCAS that warns you when something bad is about to happen in mid-air... Have to admit, regarding to your question, yes - mid-air collision can happen in MS, tried and crashed :( myself in midair when i intentionally tested the TCAS functionality by flying "kamikaze"...

Oh yeah !:)The Usual situation is if your flying something a little slower than the Jet Airliners kicking about in the AI Sky.. Here's how it works for me, quite regularly :)Approaching an airfield in a busy area I announce my presence and I'm offered the runway. The ATC will tell me I'm number 1 for landing and I start the approach.. Then if some AI is in the area also looking for an approach the ATC will give him #2 slot.. Now as I'm a lot slower and on a long approach, Say in the Bulldog or even a dash .. And the #2 Aircraft happens to be a much faster Jet .. he will eventually fly right up my tail :)Artificial Intelligence and REAL ATC ??I think Not MS :)

I had one a couple of months ago. I was just approaching Halle/Leipzig at dusk, ATC assigned me 12000 ft when I saw position lights in the distance to the right. Since the sun was allready set I only saw this flashing point flying at the same altidude as myself for minutes. It was impossible for me to check the distance. As I had not got any traffic warning from ATC (though I was flying IFR), I did not think that the plane was any danger for me. I got curious, what type of plane it was, so I zoomed it in. I think to remember it was a 182RG, now quickly getting bigger and bigger. So quick that I had to zoom out again, to be able to see the whole plane. But the plane kept its big size even when I was back at zero zoom :-). That was, when I realized, that it was too late for any manoeuvre to escape the crash. So we collided and I guess ATC did not even notice. :-)Regards,Wolfgang

Hi,You gotta love it when you're in the 172 (or some other slow mover) and all set up on the ILS when BOOM! Some impatient, big league, jet driver goes blowing by to steal your landing slot........Oh well, at least they haven't run me over, yet.CF-AOA

I was taking off at O'Hare a few days ago in the 172. Got clearance to take off and was heading down the runway with a United (PAI) coming in to land right at me as I pulled back on the yoke. I pushed the yoke back forward a bit and hoped for the best. The United flight went right over my head and continued to land, but we somehow missed each other. Haven't seen that happen before or since, but it sure made that takeoff interesting. :)KP

I have had several close calls and once while about to take off at PAJN, got clearacne from ATC in a King Air and as I turned onto the runway an Alaska Air MD 83 landed on top of me, guess I should have looked both ways before crossing the street!I have purposely tried to hit a few planes at slower speeds and they just pushed forward to get out of the way, strange.Michaelhttp://www.geocities.com/res052cd/cmhbanner.gif

Best, Michael

KDFW

yep........happened to me just last week. i was flying a B735 from Seattle to Ketchikan AK. i was at altitude and on autopilot. i stepped away from the pc for a few minutes, and when i came back i just caught the tail end of an Air Canada B744 in my face! i dont know if i actually hit it or not, but my B735 plunged almost 10,000' before i could get it back under control. if i remember correctly, it was Air Canada flight 18 that almost got me.pretty wild!chris

Guest Josve

I almost did :)Look at this sequence..Here I am at the final app nr1 for landing...http://home.online.no/~johsvenn/artimages/fs2002/732a.JPGAnd suddenly....out of the clear blue skyhttp://home.online.no/~johsvenn/artimages/fs2002/732h.JPGAnd so he became nr1 for landinghttp://home.online.no/~johsvenn/artimages/fs2002/732i.JPGJohnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif][/div

Awesome Pics!ATC at KIAH brought cleared me to land one night and I plowed head-on into another 737 taking off on same runway. I just went through it like a ghost. Sure was depressing though.