Sign in to follow this  

OverHeating????

Daren:If you are not overclocking your CPU or Video Card then I seriously doubt that your problem will be heat. If you have a heat related problem (usually intrinsic in us overclockers) you would get a system reset in most cases as opposed to a lockup. Secondly, case fans only cool the surface temps of the periphials such as the Mobo, vid card, etc. A case fan will not significantly decrease your core CPU temp and DDR memory doesn't get nearly as hot as RAMBUS memory so I don't think that is your issue. Even if it were, a casefan would NOT cure your CPU overheating problems. You would need a larger heatsink (preferably pure copper) and a larger (or higher RPM fan). For extreme overclockers such as myself, water cooling is the only real alternative to keeping the system stable. Again, I don't see this as your problem. The next question is why would adding more memory cause a drain on your power supply or overheating? Nope, I don't see a problem there.If you are getting lockups, it is generally a memory parity error associated with either a bad stick of memory or incorrect FSB setting. Again, assuming you are not overclocked, I am betting that your culprit is your memory.Mike T.

Guest mikehaska

>If you are not overclocking your CPU or Video Card then I >seriously doubt that your problem will be heat. If you have >a heat related problem (usually intrinsic in us >overclockers) you would get a system reset in most cases as >opposed to a lockup. Not true. In some cases, a CPU fan may not be powerful enough for a CPU, in which case it would overheat. As well, if the contact between the heatsink and the CPU is not tight enough, cooling power can be greatly reduced. Double check and make sure your CPU fan is sufficiently powered for your CPU, and make sure that it is snug. If you have used some kind of cooling compound, try reapplying.>Secondly, case fans only cool the surface temps of the >periphials such as the Mobo, vid card, etc. A case fan will >not significantly decrease your core CPU temp and DDR memory >doesn't get nearly as hot as RAMBUS memory so I don't think >that is your issue. Not exactly. Casefans, unlike heatsinks, do not directly attach to a specific component. Therefore, their purpose is not to provide cooling for any components, but rather provide air for other cooling devices. For example, if you have a fan on your power supply, CPU, and video card, the amount of air blowing around in that case is going to be quite high. To keep the air flowing through those coolers low, you will need to keep a supply of fresh air in the case. To do this, people usually have a case fan blowing air in or out. This will evacuate any warm air. Another good idea is to have another fan blowing cool air in. That way, you can create an air corridor across the system where cool air is taken in through the back, and hot air is expelled out the side.>Even if it were, a casefan would NOT cure your CPU >overheating problems. You would need a larger heatsink >(preferably pure copper) and a larger (or higher RPM fan). You'd be suprised how much case fans can cool down a system. I have seen people who had massive problems with crashing have their troubles solved by getting some air flowing. Keep in mind, no matter how many heatsinks or fans you have, if there's no fresh air in the cooler to blow around, they are not running at their peak capacity.>For extreme overclockers such as myself, water cooling is >the only real alternative to keeping the system stable. Don't forget the ubiquitious Liquid Nitrogen coolers, for those diehard overclockers>Again, assuming you are not overclocked, I am betting that >your culprit is your memory. I'm more prone to say that a memory problem would cause a complete crash of the system, not just a crash isolated to a single application (unless I read the original post wrong, and the whole system does crash). I'm not sure what type of motherboard you have, but in the Asus A7V series, in the bios you can have the board detect and fix any memory problems before they can crash the computer. However, the types of crashes this fixes are quite rare, only occuring every ~3 months, so I doubt that this would be your problem. However, if you do have an Asus mobo, let me know and I can find the bios setting you will need to change.In closing...1. If you have an onboard temperature probe, see what the temps are. If the CPU is running too hot, check your CPU cooler for proper power and a tight fit against the CPU.2. Add a case fan to increase the amount of airflow through the case. Ensure that if you are sucking air in, you have an outlet for the old air to go out of, or if you are blowing air out, ensure you have an outlet for new air to come in through. If you find that leaving the cover open solves your crashing problem adding a case fan would be the solution.

Right Guys, To respond to you all at once! This is what is happening at the minute! The system on crashes when i'm using FS2K2 however that is the only real graphic intense program i have at the minute! When it does lock up the whole system goes. Can't do anything other than to press reset and start again! I initally thought that it was a driver problem as due to the fact that lock ups happen quicker once i have changed the driver! I have been following the prcedure of uninstalling and reinstalling the card! With the default drivers in situ (V5.12) This has keep everything stable for a week or so! Memory!!! I have had several sticks in the computer. All the same results! I have 2 *256 sticks at present! I will run the system with 1 stick at a time and see how we go! Cooling!!! I have installed a case fan! You have all produced many questions about temp. How can i check out the temp of the cpu. i have looked at the mother board temp program that was suggested and to be honest i just got confused! Fans and heatsinks! Where do i look for better ones! How do i know what is best for my system? Cheers Guys Daren :-beerchug

Seeing as everyone had answered your technical questions but no one's addressed your retail ones....Try www.dabs.com for your power supply and fans. I've had nothing but great service from them, fantastic and intuitive site, good prices (not the very best but never expensive), very smooth order process and they're a big reliable company. They replaced my 60Gb hard drive I bought from them after I cooked it (by accident).I don't work for them :-)IanP.S. Technically they've covered everything:1) If it's overheating then getting a desk fan on the open case should solve the problem.2) If it's a power supply thing, try removing peripherals until it works.

Daren - One more thing to try in your spare time :-) . These types of system lockups with FS2002 can also be caused by the sound drivers misbehaving. Click on StartRun and then type dxdiag in the box. Click on the sound tab and move the acceleration slider all the way to the left to disable it. Easy to do, can't hurt anything, and might even help with the problem.Trip

when you've already admitted you have a 250watt power supply. B

Guest mikehaska

The only thing you can do in this situation is to isolate whether the crash is caused by FS2002 or some system component. To do this, you will need to run something system intensive to find this out. Try downloading game demos from http://www.microsoft.com/games and running them for a while. I would suggest Midtown Madness or Motocross Madness as they are relativly graphics intensive.If the crashes do not occur with any other games, there must be something with FS2002 we can fix. If the crashes continue with other games, then we will need to analyze your system further.As for good CPU coolers, my favorite are ThermalTake http://www.thermaltake.com I use the Volcano 9 Smart-and-Silent for my AMD Athlon XP 2000+. It runs on a thermal probe so that it's not always running at full speed, but it speeds up when you are running something like games. My CPU temp rarely goes above 50 C.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Daren,This has certainly been an interesting thread to read. Many people with many different ideas, all of them good. However, there is one very simple fix worth trying that has not been mentioned. In the MSFS2K2 root folder, locate a file named FS2002.cfg (pretty sure that's the correct ID, I'm not at my FS computer right now). Back-up this file and then delete it. Now restart your computer and launch MSFS. The file will be rebuilt with all default settings. You would be surprised how often these types of problems can be attributed to corruption of this one file. Try flying for a while with all default settings and see if the lockups disappear. If they do, then turn up your settings to your prefered levels. Of course, if the problem persists, then just replace the new cfg file with the old one.Good luck.

Here is good method how to determine does your system have overheating problem and check overall system stability.First install hardware monitoring utility. Probably you have one on CD that came with your motherboard or just download motherboard monitor utilityhttp://mbm.livewiredev.com/Second download prime95ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v21.zipPrime95 will push your CPU to 100% load so if you have stability problem prime will return error or just crash your system. While running prime observe CPU temperatures on mb monitor. If you get temperatures over 50-55C you probaly have overheating problem. If everything is ok in first 30 min leave prime95 to run next 12 hours.Other good utility is CPU stability testhttp://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,7146,00.aspRun this for another 12 hoursIf you pass both tests your system is stable considering CPU, memory, power supply and motherboard.Petar

Update!!!!!!!!!Hey guys... Thanks for your help!!!I have been through all of your suggestions and have come to the following conclusionsA bigger PSU is already order 400wattsIn case cooling fans ordered!I monitored the cpu temp and am running at a hot 68 cBetter heatsink / fan ordered! with thermal gelSound accelaration reduction to the left!f2002 cfg file reconstructed!Have i missed anything!If not thanks for your help!If i have then please let me know!CheersDaren :-smile12

Guest mikehaska

68c is hot, but that shouldn't have been causing your crashes. It's good to keep the CPU around the 50c mark, though, so that purchase wasn't in vain.The increased power supply and case fan are also good ideas (hey, they couldn't hurt!). As for the the other fixes, they might help too.Sounds like you may have caught the culprit in one of those fixes. I hope everything works out for you in the end! If not, you know where to turn for help :-)

Mike:I have to respectfully disagree:>Not true. In some cases, a CPU fan may not be powerful enough for a >CPU, in which case it would overheat. As well, if the contact >between the heatsink and the CPU is not tight enough, cooling power >can be greatly reduced. Double check and make sure your CPU fan is >sufficiently powered for your CPU, and make sure that it is snug. >If you have used some kind of cooling compound, try reapplying.If you read his original post, he put in the NEW memory sticks and his system started freezing. It wasn't doing it before. >You'd be suprised how much case fans can cool down a system. I have >seen people who had massive problems with crashing have their >troubles solved by getting some air flowing. Keep in mind, no >matter how many heatsinks or fans you have, if there's no fresh air >in the cooler to blow around, they are not running at their peak >capacity.Put a temperature probe on your cpu and then run FS2002 and you will see that it will jump in temperature regardless how many fans you have in your case (especially if you are oc'd like I am.) NOW, get a adjustable speed CPU fan and watch the temp on the CPU drop.A Case fan is not meant to be the solution for a cool CPU. It is a solution to keep the ambient temperature in the CASE to be lower and that is the benefit to the CPU, but the CPU fan / heatsink is what carries the heat up and away from the core.>1. If you have an onboard temperature probe, see what the temps >are. If the CPU is running too hot, check your CPU cooler for >proper power and a tight fit against the CPU.>>2. Add a case fan to increase the amount of airflow through the >case. Ensure that if you are sucking air in, you have an outlet for >the old air to go out of, or if you are blowing air out, ensure you >have an outlet for new air to come in through. If you find that >leaving the cover open solves your crashing problem adding a case >fan would be the solution. If his system was stable before then it has nothing to do with a overheating problem. There is no way shape or form that upgrading memory would cause a overheating problem if he didn't have an overheating problem in the first place. :-)I think that sending him off after this "overheating" problem is totally a wild goose chase. It is like saying, my car's headlights don't work after changing the bulbs and then you try to fix it by checking the tire pressure. :-rollRegards,Mike T.

I would say that 68c is definitively your problem probably combined with weak PSU.You made good purchase and parts that you have ordered should give you needed stability. Only new case fans are going to drop your CPU temperature at least 5C.Be careful when you are removing old heat sink and installing new one. Athlon core is easy to crush. Try to keep heat sink fixed while applying pressure with screwdriver. Remove old thermal compound from core before you apply new one. I usually use non acetone nail polish remover for that.Probably you know all this already, but just in case

>If you read his original post, he put in the NEW memory >sticks and his system started freezing. It wasn't doing it >before. Wrong thread, Fred Michaels has problems with new memory.>Put a temperature probe on your cpu and then run FS2002 and >you will see that it will jump in temperature regardless how >many fans you have in your case (especially if you are oc'd >like I am.) NOW, get a adjustable speed CPU fan and watch >the temp on the CPU drop.That is not the point of whole story.You are trying to say that case fans don

I have recently begun flying FS2002 and the lockups are driving me crazy. I can't imagine the overheating problem. It has been cool here and I get the lockups shortly after startup of the game sometimes. My system is pretty well equipped with lots of ram and video card and processor speeds. What should I do to check the ram or any other suggestions would really be appreciated. It is really cutting in to my appreciation of this fine sim. Help please if you can!