Sign in to follow this  

Doubled My Ram-Now FS2002 Locks up ;-)

Ya know, if it's not one problem it's another ;-)My current setup:P4 2.4512 DDR PC2700 (Just upgraded to Crucial Memory from 256 megs of "Value Ram.MX440 64meg Video Card (Ti4600 is on the FedEx truck as I type this ;-)Not sure about motherboard?Anyway, I doubled my ram because FS2002 was stuttering real bad (video/audio), esp. when changing views.Got the new ram installed last night and it made a world of difference, I could turn my sliders up almost to max with no stutters, it was great!!!! I had solved my problem.....NOT!I actually managed to introduce a new one for me. The damn game completelly crashes to the desktop now after flying for 5 - 10 minutes.All I changed was adding more ram?any ideas?thanks!

Sounds like you have a bad memory stick. Did you get sticks of ECC or non-ECC RAM?Mike T.

I don't know? I'll have to look when I get home, everything else works great though?

Guest Toni Rauch

Try re-installing the flightsim. I had a similar problem a while back (not caused by RAM) when, for no apparent reason, FS simply caused the computer to completely re-boot, not just lock up. Must have been Gremlins...Anyway, I re-installed and it's behaved perfectly ever since.Good luck,Toni.

Thanks, I reinstalled it last night when it was happening, however I left some of the 3rd party planes in. They never caused me any trouble before anyway so I left them.Rebooted after reinstalling and the same thing happened. I'm going to download the newest drivers for the Sidewinder tonight as I noted that solves some other issues.thanks again!

>Ya know, if it's not one problem it's another ;-) >>My current setup: >P4 2.4 It's a shame when a flight simulator stutters on a 2.4ghz machine.Tim:}

It's a shame when a flight simulator stutters on a 2.4ghz machine.Tim:}LOL, tell me about it ;-) That's what I thought. Doubled the ram and runs smoothly until it crashes ;-)))))It's not funny, but i'm to the point now where I can only laugh ;-)

Guest jase439

Chances you are you got a bad stick of memory, a stick of memory that has different timing than the one you already have, or you have your sticks ordered incorrectly on the mainboard.Most motherboards are very particular about which slots memory can go in - especially with 2 or more. Check your motherboard manual for details on this.Secondly, you might have gotten a second stick of memory that is of a different brand or has different timings. In this case, your current memory timings may be too much for the second stick to handle. You can usually change your memory timings from the BIOS, but unless you have a handle on what you're doing there, you'd probably best have someone w/ experience advise you on HOW to change them.In general, I always try to buy EXACTLY the same kind of memory (brand, size, configuration, and speed) when adding a stick of RAM.Lastly, you might just have a bum stick of RAM. There is a program out there (freeware) called MemDoc which can test your memory for errors. You might try downloading this and see if this is your culprit.Good Luck,J

Secondly, you might have gotten a second stick of memory that is of a different brand or has different timingsThanks, actually I made sure to order the same brand. I actually had 256 of "Value Ram" in there. I then ordered two (2) sticks of Crucial DDR Ram (256 each). I have three dimm slots for my memory on the mother board and I placed them in the 1st and 2nd slots (I believe) ;-)Lastly, you might just have a bum stick of RAM.Man, that would suck, but I'll try that freeware program to test it if I can find it.thanks for your great input!

Oh I forgot to ask, how many different types of PC2700 DDR ram are there? At crucial, I don't see anything other than one choice when it comes to the ram my Mother Board uses.

Guest SIX

Well there are few different types, but Crucial probably only sells a couple: ECC and standard nonparity. Also, ANYTIME you mix ram you are asking for issues. You should never mix brand names of RAM. There is always something different in each stick of RAM per brand, that is why you can go to hardware sites and see a PC2700 benchmarking contest and there will be five brands of PC2700 and they all perform very differently. I am willing to bet if you take either stick out you will do fine with either. -----------Wilson HinesHEAVY LHC EditorAOL IM: dal276whBush Flying Unlimited: SIXUVI014 "Heavy"http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Hey Guy's, I appreciate the help in all, but maybe you've missed my what I am saying in a couple previous posts.I AM USING THE SAME BRAND, CRUCIAL!!! ;-)I took the original brand out so I would have the SAME BRAND. ;-)))there, is it clear now, I'M USING THE SAME BRAND ;-)))sorry,Thanks for the tips

Not sure, they are non-parity PC2700 DDR333 as far as I know (That's what I ordered anyway) ;-)I'll take a closer look tonight, but when I was installing them, they appeared to be exactly the same. Maybe it is a bad stick or something.thanks again!

Try this simple test.... Switch the sticks in the RAM slots....Sometimes, an ever so subtle seating issue might take place, and the stick might prefer "slot x" over "slot y".... Most likely, you only see the problem in FS because FS is the only app with a memory "footprint" big enough to use the new stick. Give my suggestion a try, and good luck!-John