Sign in to follow this  

Ch products - what to choose ?

Guest Ben

Good evening folks,Here's my questioni am planning to buy one of the following ch products-Pro Throttle USB -Flight Sim Yoke USBWhat should it be ??i already have a joystick but it's old though i wouldnt mind combaining it with the throttle..so what do you suggest i will buy ??In addition , i have a question about the pro throttle - does it also do the reverse thrust function ??i mean if i lower the leveler to idle will it initiate the reveres thrust or should i lower leveler a bit lower than idle position?Would appreciate answers to both of my questionsregards,Ben.

Hi Ben,I guess it depends on what kind of aicraft you like to fly. If you stick to light GA or helos, then adding the throttle might be the way to go. However, I've never liked flying the heavier a/c with a stick, and I'd really hate to give up my yoke. So consider that when making your decision. To answer your question about the throttle, yes, you can set it up to activate reversers. Actually, the easiest way to do it is to just use FSUIPC to calibrate the throttle -- it allows you to specify what portion of the lever travel should be used for reversing.hope that helps.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest flightpro08

Whether you fly piston or turbine based aircraft, the extra axis on the more expensive CH USB yoke can help since most aircraft of both types have three engine controls to consider. This would apply even if you purchase a seperate throttle and retain your stick.I'm thinking of the following on the throttle quadrant:Power/Thrust (throttle), Prop RPM or ? (for jetfans - I'm still absorbing jet-prop and jet-fan basics), Mixture/Condition. I noticed on the yoke, the three controls reside on the upper top right of the main panel. I wonder if operating these (you frequently keep one hand on throttle during manual final) would interfere with yoke manipulation. So even with the yoke, you might want the seperate throttle which you might also wish to place for right hand operation as in most aircraft from the left seat operating position.FYI, I just picked up The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual, 2nd edition, auth. Brown and Holt, which explains turbine (prop and fan) theory and cockpit control structure and operation, going well beyond just engine but the entire flight operation including NAV, FMC, etc.

I am in a minority here, but I am not a fan of the USB yoke. I had mine for a grand total of two days and sent it back. It's not much more than a pole through a plastic housing with the resistance coming from a slinky type spring. Save your money and buy a PFC yoke instead. Yes, there is a significant difference in price, but with PFC you get a lifetime warranty on an outstanding piece of equipment. It will still be around when you fire up MSFS 2010 while the little slinky spring in the CH yoke will have given up the ghost long ago. It comes with a push/pull throttle like in small GA planes which makes for handy spoiler lever when flying jets. Regarding the throttle, I know that CH is coming out with a throttle quadrant around christmas. It might be worth waiting for.