Sign in to follow this  

What kind of "real pilot" are you?

I hate the term "Real Pilot", what is a real pilot? The term pilot can mean many things, not necessarily one who commands an aircraft.According to the dictionary a pilot is:1.One who operates or is licensed to operate an aircraft in flight. 2.Nautical. One who, though not belonging to a ship's company, is licensed to conduct a ship into and out of port or through dangerous waters. The helmsman of a ship. 3. One who guides or directs a course of action for others. 4. The part of a tool, device, or machine that leads or guides the whole. 5. A pilot light, as in a stove. 6. A television program produced as a prototype of a series being considered for adoption by a networkEverytime I see someone start off with "I have a question for a real pilot, or any real pilots help me please" I want punch my monitor.

I'm in the heating business and have been lighting "pilots" for over 30 years now. Had you all "fooled"...... didn't I!!! :)L.Adamson -- #1 pilot too

Guest Heather 636

Had me a job in my early teens as an aviator at a horse stable. Pilot here, pilot there. ;)Cheers!Heather

Guest Lobaeux4

I'm a military pilot, flying C-130E's, with my instrument and commercial tickets. Lobaeux

I'm a private pilot, doing my instrument.Any more "real" pilots? (Sorry, Dave, I just couldn't resist :) ).Bruce.

I'm a 'real student' for over 15 years now since my wife will never let me get my PPL :-) So I do 'operate aircraft in flight' from time to time and so far have not crashed any (contrary to the habit my wife has with cars... I think the number of crashes now is 17.. :-lol :-lol ). :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest emergency_pants

oOOOo!... I'm definitely one of those REAL sitathomeandpretendtobeflyingarealaeroplane kind of Real Pilots. In fact, I've never even sat at the yoke of an aeroplane in my life. Heheh.As an aside, seeing as this is a FLIGHT sim site, one can safely assume that a post referring to a "Real Pilot" is in fact referring to someone who actually flies 1:1 scale aeroplanes out of airports as a profession or passtime. Come to think of it, I've never even considered that term to mean anything else. Funny, that! Good point though, Dave... I can see how it would get on yer t*ts!Thing is though, it's a little bit like getting annoyed at a railway station because the announcer keeps calling for "Drivers" to come to the Manager's office. I mean Drivers? What kind of driver, for God's sake?!!!! And to extend that... the annoyance it would cause the Manager if 500 car drivers turned up outside his/her office!! Heheheh. Or if they all went to the manager's office of the Supermarket next door!! (Well.. the announcement didn't say WHICH manager, did it?)I think there are just some things/meanings you have to take for granted... and in this case I think it's safe to make an assumption towards "Real Life" pilots.Thing is though, Dave.... now you've said it, it's gonna bug me like mad! Hahahaha. (like someone pointing out the sound of a ticking clock that you never noticed before... aaaargh!) :)

Guest bruno

I'm not a "real world" pilot, but I have been called a Pillock :-beerchug

Did I open up a can of worms or what! I gotta stop making silly posts without first reading what I wrote. :)Call yourselves whatcha want!Dave