Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Favor Resolution and AF Over FSAA

Guest jase439

I can't recall the thread in which someone suggested this, but if you're running a high end box with an nVidia based adapter I can honestly say life is MUCH better with FSAA disabled. To whoever suggested this: thanks!Performancewise, the GF4 series appears to tolerate higher resolutions far better than it handles FSAA. Take the LOD BIAS down a touch -0.3 to -0.5 (use RivaTuner to do this) and throw in 16-Tap (Level 2) anisotropic filtering and you have a hot lookin' sim with almost no performance hit. 32-Tap (Level 3) looks stellar, but you'll eat about 10-20% in frame rate.I took my sim up to 1600x1200x32 where the need for antialiasing is almost nil without a drop in FPS - of course alot of that I attribute to having a P4 2.4Ghz box with a Ti4600 strapped into it. The textures look incredible in FS - so much, I almost thought I was looking at TerraScene imagery for Fly! ;-)J

Guest Dean

How are you running FS2002 at 1600x1200? The highest setting I have in FS2002 is 1600x900 but the aspect ratio is wrong at that res so the A/C shape is distorted. 1600x1200 does yield the correct ratio of 1.33 but I don't have that choice. I wonder if it is because of the 128 meg on the G4? I'm using a G3 with 64 meg.

You need to set the desktop res to 1600x1200 in order to use that in FS2002.I think it might work to manually change the res to 1600x1200 by editing the .cfg files but I'm not sure.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest jase439

Yeah, I simply changed the FS2002.CFG file to 1600x1200x32 (or whatever resolution turns your key). FS will not display resolutions above 1280x1024x32 unless the desktop is already set to it. I run my desktop at 1280x960x32.The biggest concern most people will have is: 1) Can the monitor support the resolution and 2) What refresh rate can the display adapter handle (any GF3/4 and high end GF2 cards should be able to swing this). Less than 70Hz is pretty miserable on the eyes at that resolution. I run mine at 72 (which is the limit of my monitor at that res) - although I have to "force" that refresh rate by using DXDIAG.J