Sign in to follow this  

Another GA addon..... gosh...

Am I the only one getting a bit bored of the glut of GA aircraft the payware developers are producing?Don't get me wrong, they're all fine products (at least, the ones I've bought are.)I just find myself wishing that a dedicated payware team would come up with something different. And I don't mean another bloody 747 or Airbus..... just something that would throw a little spice into the mix. Imagine a GMAX, VC-equipped Viscount or Trident, done to FSD/PSS/Flight1 standards with every bell and whistle you can imagine? Or a B17, or a Lancaster? Or a Comet? Or am I just a sad old git?Pass my Horlicks please, dear.

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Damian,I think there is an excellent DC-9 package in the works at flight1, as well as what looks to be an excellent 727 from CS, not to mention the Flight1's Meridian, that is a GA aircraft with the Avionics of an Airliner!Hope this helps!

If you are, you're not alone !Seriously though, in many cases it comes down to "sale-ability". Note why DreamFleet cancelled their Airbus A340. Big, complicated jets require far more work by the team, and as many payware companies work on several projects at once, a couple of GA planes can be release to help fill the coffers whilst they work on the airliner. Few team-members can afford to do this full-time.I know that a 50s-era Vulcan payware project is in production, although I have no idea as to the quality. Time will tell.The new GMAX DC-3 / R4D is also being worked on, as is the MAAM B-25, both of which are likely to be excellent.Personally, I can't get enough of these top-quality GA planes, and rarely fly anything bigger, but a quality Lanc would be very nice ! Just think of the VC trip from the cockpit to the Rear Gunner's position !

... I am in GA Heaven these days and I think it is a welcome change from the many 'heavies' publications we've had over the years.It is only since FS2002 that more (semi)professional developers have really jumped on the GA topic and produced some excellent aircraft AND avionics. I compare it a bit with Formula 1 and Rally cars..... I prefer a Rally sim because I could drive a similar car (actually did..LOL ), and will never ever get my butt in a F1 monster.. dream on baby !! Same with the GA. I have flown and do fly them occasionally and so can relate much more and better to the GA planes. And actually compare them to reality. Whereas I have only sat in some of the heavies cockpits and looked at the bewildering mess of gauges and switches.. I will never fly one.There are two ways of looking at the hobby then... One is to fly the heavies on the PC just because you are dreaming (and only that) to do it in reality. The other is to leave them alone because you know you will never handle one, but you just MIGHT sit and perhaps even fly a GA plane. I know for certain that 85 out of the 100 people could if given the chance.So that is my attraction to GA aircraft and aviation and I think that themajority of simmers falls in my category. Besides, it takes so much longer to learn to fly a heavy, even on the PC. Therefore I do not feel that we are getting too many GA add-ons and not enough airliner stuff....This is just my personal opinion of course, biased as I am.. ;-) :-jumpy :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Am I the only one getting a bit bored of the glut of GA aircraft the payware developers are producing?Probably not the only one, but I'm loving it! How many big heavies do you need ;-)

Fred - the last thing I'm after is another load of heavies (read my post.) :-)

The Seneca is the first high quality true light twin (depending how you classify the C421) that's come out for FS2K2. I like a lot of diversity in my hangar ('cept no Airbuses!) and this is something "different" in my book. Especially once I put the new Garmin 530 in it! Then I got to find time to fly sorties over Europe in CFS3, patrol the Persian Gulf in Project 1, and perhaps have room for a certain Dash 8 (another "new" thing in the wings!). Think of it as someone leaving the keys to their Seneca for the weekend. I can't imagine you would turn that down, would you?David

LOL, I just meant that there has been plenty of freeware and payware heavies released and I'm enjoying the GA aircraft much more. I like to see the small airports rather than fly at FL370 ;-)

Personally, I like choice in all areas :-)I need few big heavies, but I also don't need 10 different single engine GA planes in my stable.

Some very good points (I do like a good debate!) :-)But I'm sticking to my guns here..... consider a hanger containing the C421, the Seneca and the Cheyenne. Between the three of them, there's really not THAT much difference. I realise you could argue (and I've no doubt many people will) that they are not the same aircraft, but I would say they offer a very similar flying EXPERIENCE. On the other hand, consider also a hangar containing a Cheyenne/C421/Seneca (delete as applicable,) your choice of heavy, and one of my suggestions. For example a Lancaster, modelled with the same degree of fidelity as the best of payware, flight model done by the same people who did the new Marchetti, accurate engine and systems management etc. See what I mean?Extending choice is what I'm talking about! :-)I must sit down now, my fillings are starting to ache.

I don't have the Seneca (it's not available yet) ;-) but the Cheyenne and 421 are completely different flying experiences. The 421 is a piston and fly's completely different then the Cheyenne, not to mention the Cheyenne from FSD is waaaaaaayyyy over-powered ;-)From what I've seen the Seneca should be completely different from the 421, but that remains to be seen.

Well, the upcoming 727 should be great - heavy iron without the wizardry. I'd be happy to see the RD4 back with its virtual cockpit but it seems politics killed that one. Perhaps you will find some of the diversity you seek in CFS3David